VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I'm an Englishman living in Sweden and I adore this forum. I bought a 'Shuttle' at the beginning of the summer with plans to convert or partially convert it to use as a camper van. I love it and spend hours at the moment gazing at busses on Instagram, Pinterest and this forum trying to find the 'right' direction and vision for a van that will be used for a family of four with teenage kids and as our everyday car.
It seems that a 'Shuttle' can have all sorts of different characteristics, maybe depending on the country it was first sold in. Many it seems have two sliding doors, whereas mine has one.I have still not quite got my head around what makes a Shuttle different from a Caravelle.:* If there's anyone out there with more knowledge about this I'd be glad to hear from them.
We bought it thinking that we would definitely put in a pop-up top but are having second thoughts after (taking turns two at a time) sleeping in it a few times and feeling how tight it was going to feel. At the moment we are thinking we will keep 7 seats and have taken out the single middle row seat as it doesn't fold down flat. i have made a concertina flat bed base out of thick plywood and piano hinges that sits behind the back seats but folds out over the rear and middle bench seats when they are folded down. I'm quite pleased with the result.
I have also been looking at putting some form of cooking space behind the back seats. To maximise the space I started taking out the interior trim thinking I would insulate and carpet the walls but when I got to the pillar by the drivers seat it was covered with all sorts of complicated devices for the height adjustable seatbelt and wires and cables on the outside so i stopped and began to question why I was doing it. I still haven't ruled it out but and now thinking that i might just take out the panels closest to the tailgate where I initially wanted the space and carpet over the lining further into the van.
Anyway - what I love about the van at the moment is the possibilities, both for where it will take me, and what I can do with itA:
I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself and the van.
Vi hörs!

·
Premium Member
2,310 Posts
Hi mate, I have a shuttle also. My lay out is very simple.

I sold the 3 seater and fitted a R & R bed in its place.
I still have the middle row that I remove when we go camping. If not camping I have 8 travelling seats. Curtains fitted.

Added a les battery for internal lights and cool box. Also have hook up if on campsite.
Drive away awning for extra space (a must for us) roof box and that's about it.

Cheers and welcome mate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the welcome jc1! Your layout sounds interesting! A great idea to take out seats when camping! I'll definitely bare that in mindT:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts