VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We have recently purchased a 2001 T4 van, already got the fitted cupboards, wardrobe and a rock and roll bed :). Well tested this out at Bloodstock festival this weekend. Best I've felt returning from a festival ha ha. But we only used a 12v cooler, warm beers at the end of the festival hmmmm.

We only really do weekends away so I'm scratching my head over what to purchase to use as a fridge and we would be fitting the fridge/cooler ourselves. Our fridge space is quite tight to say the least and I'm not sure whether to mess around with a 3 way/2way or a compression fridge. I don't want to spend 100s on a fridge that is a pain to use, with leveling etc, gas does make me nervous, plus if we only need to keep a few items cool for a couple of nights do I need a 3 way? Although I am keen to get it certified by a professional.

Any advice on what you guys already have or tried, my cupboard space is 470w, 380d (although we could get another 100d with some minor amendments) and 650h

:)

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Waeco compressor fridges are the best solution, but they don't come cheap. With a bit of planning it's possible to keep beer cold all weekend in a coolbox. The trick is to chill all your beer (cans) till they're almost frozen. Fill the coolbox and put crushed ice in all the gaps. As you drink one beer, put another one in the gap. the "frozen" beer will chill the new one in 10 minutes or so.

Take the same beer and repeat. If you can avoid taking out the frozen beers till last, you'll find they will keep your coolbox very cold for a long time. How long they last obviously depends on the weather and the amount of drink, but I can guarantee you'll have cold beer for much longer than you would otherwise have.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Another vote for a compressor fridge, as the 3-way types have their problems, particularly having to be level when using gas :eek:.

In addition to the 'cold beer' method from alan.surry, we also use traditional camping freezer packs: just freeze them at the campsite and pop them into the fridge - some frozen overnight and some frozen during the day, then just swap them over. They save the fridge from doing a lot of work, but do take up a bit of 'beer-space'.
Don't forget, however, that 4 cold beers are better than 6 warm ones :cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha ha cheers guys. Yeah I'm not fancying messing around with he leveling and I'm not too keen on messing with the fridge gas. I'd rather take something I can use for a bit of food and the beer I just tend to throw into a 12v box and throw in ice packs. I tend to take frozen food with us. But just fancy having some sort of fridge installed for some bits of food. Yeah they are not cheap and are cupboard space is small so I'm driving myself nuts trying to locate one.

Do you know of any large camping shops we could spend a day visiting I'd rather see some in the shop for this rather than just ordering off the net?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have seen a few threads on other sites talking about 240v units and intelligent converters running them all the time, anyone done this…?? Waeco is a whole ton of cash. I see fridges in traveller trucks all the time, I have never seen a Weaco one…

S

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
i am going with a SMALL A ++ rated 240 V fridge and teaming it up with a solar panel and inverter, which should come in under 300 quid

add to that a few Ice packs and the fridge will not have to work that hard in the first day or 2

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
that fridge in the link is 240V only though so you would need an inverter which would, therefore, be less efficient than running a 12V compressor fridge, like a Waeco, which are dual 12V/ 240V.
e.g. Waeco CF-35 is 35 litre, so same capacity, consumption 0.56Ah/h which, by my dodgy maths, is 161 Wh / 24hr, so less than the 210Wh/ 24hr quoted (which would be more anyway due to the loss in the inverter as mentioned above).
Pricey though ! you pays your money and takes your choice.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
that fridge in the link is 240V only though so you would need an inverter which would, therefore, be less efficient than running a 12V compressor fridge, like a Waeco, which are dual 12V/ 240V.
e.g. Waeco CF-35 is 35 litre, so same capacity, consumption 0.56Ah/h which, by my dodgy maths, is 161 Wh / 24hr, so less than the 210Wh/ 24hr quoted (which would be more anyway due to the loss in the inverter as mentioned above).
Pricey though ! you pays your money and takes your choice.
yes, you would need a inverter ( so lose another 20 % )

The last 240 V low power mini fridge i found was 150 quid ( it was very similar ) so a fair saving over the Waeco CF

I plan to fit a solar panel & Invertor anyway, so for me its a no-brainer in saving money to save ( by your maths and i was never good at maths, so not doubting your figures ) 51 w / 24hr

just putting other options out and its the option i will go for in 2 months time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts