VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, ive owned my T4 for many years and my wife is talking about perhaps buying a larger mobile home, not a very large one, but one which will have toilet/shower and more space without the need to erect a large awning as we do with the T4. I know that of all the vehicles of similar size to the T4, the V.W. reigns supreme, but are there vehicles of the larger type which are deemed to be the best/most reliable and popular? Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
We started to look at bigger vans this year so went to our local motorhome dealer to see what the options are.
None of them worked for us space and layout wise but decided a crafter is about the right size .
The new crafter in our opinion is prettier than the older version.
This is as far as we got before lockdown.

·
Super Moderator
5,362 Posts
We will be replacing next year with either a t6 but I quite fancy a crafter only problem is storage

·
Registered
270 Posts
I looked long & hard at different vans to convert when I wanted/needed a bigger van

This was 4 years ago and the choice was either Merc/VW Sprinter/Crafter (same van, different badge) the ubiquitous Ford Transit or the 'Seval' vans Fiat Ducato/Citröen Relay/Peugeot Boxer

The other option would have been the Renault Master, but they are few & far between, so I discounted them

4 year old Merc/VWs were full of rust and their shape, with curved sides narrowing at the top, reduced inside space considerably. In addition the price was about 50% more for vans with poorer specification
(later vans were galvanised)

The Ford was by far the best to drive, but 3 year old vans were rusty

The Seval vans are the most popular choice for the Motorhome trade, especially the Fiat, as they produce chassis cabs & just chassis for the motorhome manufacturers
The vans are galvanised, so less prone to rust and their square sided (boxy) shape gives far more usable interior space, including the option of a transverse bed

At the time the Fiat had a Fiat engine which had a cam belt, and a reputation for gearbox & electrical problems

The Citröen & Peugeot had the ubiquitous Ford Puma 2.2 Hdi engine with cam chain

Various sizes (length & height are available in all makes & models)

So, 4 years ago I bought a 4 year old 35,000 mile Peugeot Boxer which is big enough to stand up in, has a 25,000 mile service interval and returns 37mph
Running costs slightly less than my T5 2.5 174bhp van
Performance wise, it not as fast as my T5 but keeps pace with traffic easily, my longest run to date was from a snowy Austria non stop for 565 miles (I needed diesel or I would have carried on)
Specification wise: cruise control, air conditioning, electric windows, fully adjustable seats, electric heated mirrors, etc came as standard

Now, all this research was over 4 years ago and things have moved on. If you're looking for a 'proper' motorhome then the Seval vans are the most popular base vehicles if your looking to convert then parts and accessories availability are better for the Seval vans than the others mentioned, but nowhere near as good as for the T4/5s

Do your research, pay your money & take your choice

My van is perfect for me and I love her dearly🙂

·
Registered
38 Posts
...The ubiquitous Ford Transit
...Peugeot had the ubiquitous
Word of the week? 😂🤣
Dead right about the rust issues and Mercs are mean’t to be bombproof? I don’t know what’s more infuriating the ubiquitous rusting or the ubiquitous fault dash lights? 😂🤣😭
None others have VW T looks and coolness.
Love my T5.1 DSG T140 Highline. 🚐✌🏻✌🏻😎

·
Registered
270 Posts
Dead right about the rust issues and Mercs are mean’t to be bombproof? I don’t know what’s more infuriating the ubiquitous rusting or the ubiquitous fault dash lights? 😂🤣😭
None others have VW T looks and coolness.
Love my T5.1 DSG T140 Highline. 🚐✌🏻✌🏻😎
[/QUOTE
I'm so good looking & cool, I don't need a T5

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked long & hard at different vans to convert when I wanted/needed a bigger van

This was 4 years ago and the choice was either Merc/VW Sprinter/Crafter (same van, different badge) the ubiquitous Ford Transit or the 'Seval' vans Fiat Ducato/Citröen Relay/Peugeot Boxer

The other option would have been the Renault Master, but they are few & far between, so I discounted them

4 year old Merc/VWs were full of rust and their shape, with curved sides narrowing at the top, reduced inside space considerably. In addition the price was about 50% more for vans with poorer specification
(later vans were galvanised)

The Ford was by far the best to drive, but 3 year old vans were rusty

The Seval vans are the most popular choice for the Motorhome trade, especially the Fiat, as they produce chassis cabs & just chassis for the motorhome manufacturers
The vans are galvanised, so less prone to rust and their square sided (boxy) shape gives far more usable interior space, including the option of a transverse bed

At the time the Fiat had a Fiat engine which had a cam belt, and a reputation for gearbox & electrical problems

The Citröen & Peugeot had the ubiquitous Ford Puma 2.2 Hdi engine with cam chain

Various sizes (length & height are available in all makes & models)

So, 4 years ago I bought a 4 year old 35,000 mile Peugeot Boxer which is big enough to stand up in, has a 25,000 mile service interval and returns 37mph
Running costs slightly less than my T5 2.5 174bhp van
Performance wise, it not as fast as my T5 but keeps pace with traffic easily, my longest run to date was from a snowy Austria non stop for 565 miles (I needed diesel or I would have carried on)
Specification wise: cruise control, air conditioning, electric windows, fully adjustable seats, electric heated mirrors, etc came as standard

Now, all this research was over 4 years ago and things have moved on. If you're looking for a 'proper' motorhome then the Seval vans are the most popular base vehicles if your looking to convert then parts and accessories availability are better for the Seval vans than the others mentioned, but nowhere near as good as for the T4/5s

Do your research, pay your money & take your choice

My van is perfect for me and I love her dearly🙂
Must admit, after some research, I'm favouring the Peugeot Boxer with the 2.2 140bhp TDi Turbo Diesel

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
I had a 2nd hand commercial dealer tell me they sorted mercs rusting issues many years ago ....and then I took pleasure pointing out all the rust he had in his stock of vito''s .:sneaky:

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
we've been considering a full blown motorhome, but keeping the T5, when we go away in the winter, and its raining and windy, we don't really want to go out to go to the loo etc, it make sit no fun.

The trouble is most motorhomes have the main bed at the back which means when the kids go to sleep, we would have to retire to the back away from the tv and the wine.

the only one we found was made by itenio and it had two bunks right at the back and two doubles at the front, which is ideal. I say ideal, the £50k plus price tag is a bit of. aproblem

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,204 Posts
Well, I "retired" at 49 from the UK, moved to Norway, and bought a 7 year old, 2000 T4 (for a "mere" £23,000....typical Norwegian 2nd hand price!).
After 13 years, it's still the best vehicle I've ever owned (out of over 30!).
However, my (new) wife is now only 6 years from Norwegian retirement age....and neither of us actually enjoy using a T4 VAN as a camper.
Just 2 of us (and a dog), so don't want anything with "high beds"....2 berth (sex an option!)
Only "sensible" options seem to be built on a Fiat (both hands up forming a cross symbol!) chassis.
Basically a high roof van with internal "stuff".
There's some very stylish looking conversions......but I still have some reservations about something on a French/Italian/Ford chassis.

To put things in perspective, when I was 23, I bought a Dodge Superior motorhome.
26 feet long, 11 feet wide, HIGH, with an 8.5 litre V8 PETROL engine and 3 speed auto-box!
5Kw generator, 2 air-con units, fridge/freezer, BATH, and sleeping for 7.
Fuel gauge moved faster than the speedo.... (even though I did race/beat a Ford Sierra up a hill from the lakes one time).....12mpg IF you drove like an old granny!
Think is, this was back to 1980...and imagine what it was like to get a quote of £12000/yr for insurance!?!?!?! (On a van I paid £4500 for!).....I guess 23 year olds shouldn't have one of these!.....I was earning about £35/week.
Eventually got it to £350/qtr....TPFT.
Lived in it for 12 months (after a divorce....separate issue..LOL)

Now, at 62, just had a successful cancer op, thinking upon with wife retiring, having a camper that would be more economical and park able!
DO NOT NEED A RACK ON THE BACK FOR BICYCLES...LOLOL

Oh, @ Andyj
" I say ideal, the £50k plus price tag is a bit of. aproblem "
You should see the prices in Norway.....That my buy a reasonable 2nd hand one!
Common for people to take a "million krone" (£100,000) loan out to buy a "BoBil", use it for a couple of years, and then try to sell it.
20-30,000km on it....but it's a LOT of money for many people to think about buying "used goods"....hehe

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,204 Posts
It's the tax that kills it in Norway!
Buy a "van"...2-3 seats and a partition to the rear....HALF the price of one without the partition and just ONE extra seat in the back. (Mind you....for the same tax lump, you could have 7 extra seats?!?!)
They have green plates on them....BUT....take that partition out, get stopped, and you have BIG problems!

Just been looking for "BoBil" prices.....we only need 2 beds, so a basic high-top van style....looking at about £100k for one...Fiat based.
REALLY like this one....just need to empty our retirement fund to buy it!

Think I'll be using hotels and the trusty (not yet too rusty) T4 for a while yet.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's the tax that kills it in Norway!
Buy a "van"...2-3 seats and a partition to the rear....HALF the price of one without the partition and just ONE extra seat in the back. (Mind you....for the same tax lump, you could have 7 extra seats?!?!)
They have green plates on them....BUT....take that partition out, get stopped, and you have BIG problems!

Just been looking for "BoBil" prices.....we only need 2 beds, so a basic high-top van style....looking at about £100k for one...Fiat based.
REALLY like this one....just need to empty our retirement fund to buy it!

Think I'll be using hotels and the trusty (not yet too rusty) T4 for a while yet.
Nice looking van ,
I take it you get hammered with inport duties if you personally bring one into the country
"It's only the tax that matters"

·
Super Moderator
5,362 Posts
Once our current T5 is sold I’ll be looking a T6 but also considering a crafter. We are hoping to move house in the next 12 months and driveway space will depend on what we can go for

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,204 Posts
Nice looking van ,
I take it you get hammered with inport duties if you personally bring one into the country
"It's only the tax that matters"
Yeah...HEAVY tax!
Bought an old Smart Roadster (LHD) in UK....with "paperwork" to say I paid 500 quid for it. :whistle:
Then had to pay tax on what they "estimated" it had cost me to drive it to Norway..o_O

After that, it was a "mere" £1800 tax duty, and another 200 odd quid to register it!!!:eek:
It's also about £250/year road tax.:(
(That's about the same as the T4 too.....)

Anyone want to buy a LHD 2003 Smart Roadster, that's done less than 3000 km since I got it into Norway, 7 years ago? (UK to Norway was the longest drive it's ever done I think...around 2500km in 4 days...SLEEPING in it!)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Yeah...HEAVY tax!
Bought an old Smart Roadster (LHD) in UK....with "paperwork" to say I paid 500 quid for it. :whistle:
Then had to pay tax on what they "estimated" it had cost me to drive it to Norway..o_O

After that, it was a "mere" £1800 tax duty, and another 200 odd quid to register it!!!:eek:
It's also about £250/year road tax.:(
(That's about the same as the T4 too.....)

Anyone want to buy a LHD 2003 Smart Roadster, that's done less than 3000 km since I got it into Norway, 7 years ago? (UK to Norway was the longest drive it's ever done I think...around 2500km in 4 days...SLEEPING in it!)
How the he'll do you manage to sleep in a smart roadster
Keep hold of it they will be a bit of a collectors car soon
"It's only the dream that matters"

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,204 Posts
How the he'll do you manage to sleep in a smart roadster
Keep hold of it they will be a bit of a collectors car soon
"It's only the dream that matters"
Yeah, except it has to live under 2-5 feet of snow in the winter (garage is full of tools!).
So, as they are well known to leak, every summer it requires the seats/carpets removing to dry it out.
OK...plastic body, so no rut there, but the chassis bits go that red/brown/flaky colour.

I also bought another one...with a soft-top roof...for "spares"..so now I have 2 sets of "matching" tupperware parts...LOL

Again...drove and slept in it...couldn't do it now...age catches up after a few years.

Engine/gearbox was transferred into her Smart 450...so that now goes like Sh**-off-a-stick!
That's her daily driver...so better to keep that one.
Both are about the same age as a T4....2003 and 2005 models.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts