VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd share this as I have a Bollognese sauce (home made of course) warming from frozen by my night heater as i type.
First of all I will explain my experiment. I have been a long distance trucker for 26years and have driven to countries where they don't even have roads never mind cafe's. ( Yea I'm old!!!!)
I have been cooking via a night heater (thats what they are called in trucks) since they were fitted in the 80's and have yet to have a health problem with food not being cooked properly. So thats the longevity of the experiment hopefully sorted.
I've took some pics just now and I'll put them on here if I can tonight, if not it'll be the weekend.

The night heater is a great source of heat, not just for keepin the van toasty warm but for cooking, heating water, warming nan breads, microwave rice, ready meals etc. Even from frozen!!
What is needed is to create a boxed in but well vented place in the van.
My night heater for example, the blower(imagine a truck cab) is between the passenger seat base and the outer body of the cab, in the rear of the footwell. The pics will help, promise.
So All I have done is put a piece of aluminium on the floor (to get the heat around the base of whatever your cooking) put a water container in front of that and hey ho I've created a "hot box" cooked bollognese sauce and hot water to wash everything up after.:D I've never had issues with any fire issues. Just use your loaf. If its melting plastic and ali, its too hot.
Cant put the pics up from here but will do the weekend.
Tomorrow I'm having chicken stew (in the freezer and made the weekend) and mash (from tesco ready meal type) All via the night heater:D:D:D
Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Managed to upload the pics on P bucket.
This is the truck so you get the perspective. I'll slowly zoom in so to speak.

Water being heated for washing etc

You can just see my bollognese sauce behind the water carrier

Closer

From above, Kneeling on the pass seat. Note the outlet on the night heater is pointed down. If you have this type of outlet, it will turn to whatever angle you want

Don't get me wrong, you cant knock a meal up in 20 mins. I normally leave my food on for at least an hour and some. Just keep checking. Microwave rice, about 40 mins, (keep turning) Nan bread, unwrap, dip your fingers in water and drip onto it, Wrap in tin foil, 20 to 30 mins (keep checking and turning)
I'll get onto the baked spuds on the manifold later:D:D

Ian

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
loads of room on top of the old 1.9 ,gonna nip out and drive me up a souffle ,leave the bonnet open so it can rise ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts