VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know theres alot of posts on installs but i'm after some specific info!

I'm fitting the Eberscher airtronic in my T5. I know the combustion inlet and exhaust can go through the floorpan under the tall cupboard in the rear corner. The thing i'm struggling with is the fuel pipe. The kit has come with a stanpipe to fit in the tank. i dont want to start drilling into the tank if i can do witout it. Is there an extra outlet in the tank that this will screw straight into? or do people normally 'T' off the fuel line?
Any advice would be great, hope to install it next week but just working it all out before i attack the floorpan!
Cheers

Cal

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I know theres alot of posts on installs but i'm after some specific info!

I'm fitting the Eberscher airtronic in my T5. I know the combustion inlet and exhaust can go through the floorpan under the tall cupboard in the rear corner. The thing i'm struggling with is the fuel pipe. The kit has come with a stanpipe to fit in the tank. i dont want to start drilling into the tank if i can do witout it. Is there an extra outlet in the tank that this will screw straight into? or do people normally 'T' off the fuel line?
Any advice would be great, hope to install it next week but just working it all out before i attack the floorpan!
Cheers

Cal
you cant t off the fuel pipe. the fuel pump is in the tank

you are gonna have to drill the tank ,
i belive you can drill through the sender/pump unit with a specific standpipe but the traditional style stand pipe will need to drilled through the wall of the tank

·
Registered
110 Posts
As above the all steel stand pipe needs to be fitted in to the body of the tank 25mm hole from memory or the flexi version goes into the top of the sender unit 8mm hole I think. It is quite a straight forward job take your time and it will be fine.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
sneak a liitle tank in somewhere, run it off red! Why pay road tax on heating fuel?
aint wort it mate
they use summat like 30ml per hour thats a 10th of a can of coke per hour
so about 30hrs run time will cost ya 1 pound 50 ish

·
Registered
291 Posts
aint wort it mate
they use summat like 30ml per hour thats a 10th of a can of coke per hour
so about 30hrs run time will cost ya 1 pound 50 ish
think you have your numbers wrong there,the website quotes 0.1 litre per hour on low,so 30 hours on low is 3 litres which is about 4 quids worth,turn it to high and its 0.23 litres per hour which is 7.5 litres for 30 hours which is about a tenners worth

i would be fitting a little red derv tanks if i were you

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am hopeing to fit mine oner xmas all being well. there is the t5 standpipe on ebay at the min. it £28 item number is 270865780748. hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Seriously fitting a stand pipe will only take a couple of hours,

It will take longer to find a place to put a tank!

And then your going to have to get a big Kerry can to put your diesel in and if you run out on holiday you will just put regular in anyway...

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I have just read all this and for me I would be just has happy to fit a red tank for heating so where would you buy red diesel?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Red is for Farmers etc isn't it? Hardly worth the bother of a separate tank for very sall gain.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Entirely your choice on using main tank or installing a small tank specifically for the heater.
A few points to ponder with a seperate tank
1. splashing the interior when filling it up- It'll stink for days and stain the carpet and it'll have to be easily accesible so you can put a funnel in the hole.
2. red diesel is cheaper but driving around to find somewhere that sells it will probably far out weigh the savings you'll make.
3. loose some space in the cupboards (but it is small wall mounted tank about 30x30x5cm's)
4. having to carry a small jerry can about (only if you use it alot)

If you run it on red diesel will it need more frequent services as the derv is not so refined and may block injectors/ clog it up

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What kit have you got?

I have the T5 kit that has a special pick-up pipe for the t5.... the pump even has clips for the pipe to go onto...
This the pump thats in the tank? is it hard to fit it this way?

I would be doing either the above or drilling the tank to install the heater

I have considered installing an extra tank and running it on red, as i'm a water pikey, narrowboats run on red so i can get it easily but space issues and the possibility of splashing it about wasnt appealing. If theres a kit that will fit straight onto a t5 that would be great.

The kit i'm ordering is from butler tehnik, they are on ebay, and supply a universal kit with verious upgrade options, like 7 day timers and extra outlets.... and thet also sell a T5 fuel line kit. I then found they sell transit, vivaro kits that are all different so i'm assuming the T5 kit will make it as easily as possible to plumb in. I shall ask tomorrow if that kit can be sent out instead. looking at the picture its a stanpipe, item number 270865780748

cheers for the help, should have it tuesday and start installing it :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have just fitted my van with an airtronic underneath the van by the drivers step and piped it up underneath the seat. The fuel line
i have tapped into the return pipe that runs back to the tank, (the blue one) as this is low pressure. All i used was a 8x8x6 with a 6-4 reducer. It works absolutely fine and no problems with it.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,968 Posts
I had a 5 litre mower tank on my T4 for a while with a view to running it on kerrosine and its more trouble than its worth because its hard to get. Dont get me wrong it works but i dont need to think about how full my tank is when i run it from the fuel tank. Red is easilly accessable if you work in a boat yard or on a farm otherwise you will waste too much fuel running around trying to get the fuel for it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I currently have a large hole in the floor- fitting mine this afternoon.
I am having a small tank in the back, mainly because I really cant be bothered with dropping the tank!
I'll be putting mine at the back of the van and it will be removable for filling (Modding a regular plastic diesel can lid)

Has anyone got any pics of the underneath of the van once its fitted, trying to figure out where to put my silencer!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts