VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Saab with a diesel aux heater that heats the cars coolant to rapidly blow hot air through the vents when it's cold outside.

I'm about to break this and was thinking of fitting the night heater to my van.
Does anyone know if it needs to be plumbed into some sort of water circulation (effectively a crude radiator type heating), or could I just use it to heat the air directly?

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Sounds like what a caravelle has, think it's an eber DW3 if you have a google T:

There is an upgrade kit to use it as a night heater :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, a few other vehicles have similar fitted.
I'm looking at fitting it as a stand alone night heater though. Not plumbed into the cooling circuit or existing heating system.
I was wondering if I could use it to blow hot air direct from the unit itself, much like a night heater in a truck?

Plan is the unit off the Saab will be wired to the leisure battery and fed from the diesel tank, run a duct from the outlet into the back of the van.
Just wondering if this is possible.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,420 Posts
It won't just blow hot air through the cab. You'll need to set up a liquid system with a heat exchanger to release the warmth where you want it.

You'll be able to get the electric water pump and other stuff from the Saab when you break it to make this happen. Like a heating matrix and fans etc. It'd be a interesting project to follow. T:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts