VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

nightbreakers or philips xtreme

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  PrincessPunk 
#1 ·
ive got the upgrade loom ready to go in, but which bulbs people???

#8 ·
I've just gone to Nightbreakers from Xtremes!
To be honest, can't really say there is much between them. Only changed as the Xtremes needed replacing and the Nightbreakers which I put into the wife's car at the same time are still going strong. (Touch wood!)

#9 · (Edited)
in a magazine bulb test the top three where philips extreme won but where expensive (£27 pair) then osram nightbreaker where very close but half the price (£13 pair) so got best buy and third came halfords brilliance bulbs (£25 each)

#12 ·
think these 55w are perfectly good enough upgrade without the need for 100w ones plus you risk mot failure, if you have the headlight mod they run brighter as you get 14v from alternator feed not just 11v after normal harness feed/loss

#14 ·
This is a common misconception. Higher wattage does NOT mean more light. It's more down to the quality of the bulb. The glass, the gas, the way filament is constructed and the material used all make difference. It's a bit like a well tuned 2 liter engine will put out more power than a plodding 3.5 litre one.
On the subject of Philips vs Osram, I haven't been able to detect any noticeable difference between the two. Apart from the price!!!! But, as long as they keep vying for top honours then we can all expect continued improvements.

#17 ·
when it comes to bulbs there are 4 companies tho know their stuff
philips osram bosch and ring four of the biggest names in bulbs deveolopment, anything they make will be better than most car shops car offer maybe halfords are good but expensive but it will be made by one of these 4 probably.

#21 ·
There are implications this year regarding new MOT rules and HID's, though me personally I would not even attempt to install a HID in anything other than a HID compatible projection type head lamp, irrespective of rules/laws. It's a nussance and a danger to other road users if the beam isn't focused/corrected properly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.