VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who registered on the petition website for Motor Caravans to be exempted from CO2 emission taxation and the LEZ should have an email waiting in their inbox...

Basically, No. 10 has clarifed what we have already learned about car tax - because Motor Caravans are not type approved, as such, they fall outside the car tax rules so they are classed as Private Light Goods - unless they are registered as passenger cars / goods vehicles from 2001.

I note that heavy motor caravans (those over 3.5 tonnes) only pay £165 :confused:

However, they have not addressed the thorny inssue of the LEZ...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi Stephen

I have just found my email after signing the petition and was left :eek: at the way they neatly managed to completely ignore the real problem here - the potential to have to pay :* £200 a day to use an older diesel motorhome if you live within the LEZ area!

I think people understand (if not accept) that there will be VED to pay on vehicles, but the LEZ charge is simply unfair. People are limited to their own personal budgets and the implication that we should sell our beloved older motorhomes or campers to either go without or get ourselves into big debt to buy a newer model (credit crunch & sub-prime lending history would see to that for many of us anyhow!) is nonsense. That is without the environmental impact of the governments preference to scrap older vehicles and use valuable resources to produce a new vehicle :confused:

For the government to completely ignore our concerns over the LEZ charge is cr*p :(

OK. Sorry..... Rant over now! I'm off to play in the snow I:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wow....... It seems that my earlier rant may have had some impact I:

Just heard on the BBC London news that Mayor Boris has dropped the plans to extend the LEZ to smaller lorries, vans and coaches which was due to come in in 2010 A:A:A::mw:jiggy:jiggy

Apparently he believes that it will harm small businesses in London, but we know that he just wants to keep all of us Londoners on here happy :jmpg

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow....... It seems that my earlier rant may have had some impact I:

Just heard on the BBC London news that Mayor Boris has dropped the plans to extend the LEZ to smaller lorries, vans and coaches which was due to come in in 2010 A:A:A::mw:jiggy:jiggy

Apparently he believes that it will harm small businesses in London, but we know that he just wants to keep all of us Londoners on here happy :jmpg
Motor Caravans even get a mention on the Greater London Authority web page...

... nothing to do with the five page letter I sent him (and no doubt many others did too)... I got a very lengthy and informative reply from the TFL team.

This move will effect approximately 90,000 vehicles in the London area out of how many?

It is not cut and dried yet, being subject to a 12 week consultation period - the Green Party have already said that this will be a disaster for London's Environment...

Personally, I think the cost of fuel last year did more to cut all vehicle pollution everywhere - not just from old diesels in London...

The latest low sulphur fuels and low ash engine oils (for Diesel Particulate Filters) will also help our old diesels be cleaner - mine managed yet another fast pass on it's MOT smoke test...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts