VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help guys iv recently brought a t4 lwb w plate van to use daily as im going to start motorcross. i was driving along at about 70 down the a14 when there was a loud rattle but it was a weird noise, then i had no 5th gear but all others work fine. hope i dont need to take the gear box off. is there something that could go wrong in the end case as i assume thats where 5th is or even with the shifting system as like i say it was a weird noise. the van has 180k on the clock to

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
help guys iv recently brought a t4 lwb w plate van to use daily as im going to start motorcross. i was driving along at about 70 down the a14 when there was a loud rattle but it was a weird noise, then i had no 5th gear but all others work fine. hope i dont need to take the gear box off. is there something that could go wrong in the end case as i assume thats where 5th is or even with the shifting system as like i say it was a weird noise. the van has 180k on the clock to
Your 5th gear has gone, as long as it,s not the 102 model it is an easy fix, if you search 5th gear upgrade on here it will give you the choice of either replacing them like for like or putting in taller gears to allow you to get a better drive, if i remember i think parts are around £100 and it will take a mechanic no more than 45 mins to fix. If you want to reassure yourself take a look from the kerbside and if you can see a plate at the end of the gearbox held on with 5 bolts you are in luck. good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank god lol. what is in there that actually breaks then. and any ideas on what parts i need to buy, was only sayin to my m8 the other day id love a taller 5th gear or a 6th. then i had to do 40 miles of a14 at 50 in 4th :eek: its a 2.5tdi but no intercooler on the top, guessing its an 88

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
thank god lol. what is in there that actually breaks then. and any ideas on what parts i need to buy, was only sayin to my m8 the other day id love a taller 5th gear or a 6th. then i had to do 40 miles of a14 at 50 in 4th :eek: its a 2.5tdi but no intercooler on the top, guessing its an 88

yep its an 88,so as john says easy to change 5th gear without removing the box,obviously check the linkages etc first just in case T:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that suggests mine is a 0.744 as it has a blue i on the tdi badge. im assuming i want to go lower than that say 0.622 out of a t5 caravelle is that right? i thought t5 were 6 speed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
really carnt understand how this part can break guys. anyone got any ideas or experiance to what breaks. as im reluctant to order the part at 200 quid when it might not be it. and i dont want to strip the van till i got the bits as im using it for work in 4th at the min. would love a pick of a broken one for reassurance

1 - 11 of 11 Posts