VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My van has been sitting a while, its a 1994 2.4 diesel, so decided to get it going, charged battery and reconnected it started first time running great, only thing I noticed was the battery light was not working didn't think much about that. Anyway I decided to check if it was charging but it turns out it wasn't, checked with multimeter and battery tester, I had my suspicions before that the alternator was on the way out so I got a new one put it on and it was the same not charging, still no battery light, I can get it charging when I put a wire from the battery to the spade connector on the alternator and it starts charging as normal. When I put the wire from the battery to the alternator relay 38 clicks and it starts to charge.
So what I am asking is would the battery light not working and the relay clicking be related to the alternator not turning on by itself any help would be appreciated

I have done a good few searches on here and google and can't find my answer

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
The exciter field supply is supplied via the dash light AND a parallel resistor, should still work with the light out. The 2.4 should have an LED anyway which would only supply about 20mA and the field windings in the alt need nearer an amp.

The exciter wire is probably blu/wht (typical VW colour) and it is often joined by a connector in the engine bay

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Just checked, wiring diagram says it's a blue wire and there is a connector (T1b) near the starter. Check for 12v there with ignition on.
The blue wire goes back to the fuseboard (terminal F/3) and the wire from the dash light is white and does to terminal U2/12 (at least it does in my 1996 wiring diagram which is the earliest I have to hand)

The relay is a red herring - I'm guess that's some kind of relief relay unrelated to alt function

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changed the battery light and all is better, it now starts to charge as soon as it is running. Thanks for everyone's help this one had me beat:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts