VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My van's a 1994 T4 2.4 diesel.
Problem is that the radiator fans are not coming on, even when the temp gauge reaches three quarters.
I've disconnected the 3-pin connector from the radiator thermoswitch and expected one of the wires to be live, but it's not.
The 30A fuse (labelled Cooling Fans) in the cab is ok and tests as live.
Is there perhaps a connector somewhere between that fuse and the thermoswitch which could be the problem?
The fans work if I bridge between the battery+ and the thermoswitch connector (terminal to either fan) so all seems ok with the link fuses behind the headlight, the relay and the fans themselves.
Thanks for any ideas!

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
You can unplug the wires to the switch on the radiator and short them together and the fan should spin. If not, look underneath the radiator and you should see 2 coils inside of the spoiler that control the fans. This might be faulty.
I think the radiator fan fuse is under the bonnet and not inside the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Indian for quick response. Tomorrow I’ll explore under the radiator and find the coils you refer to. Shorting the wires does nothing. Hope I might find another fuse which I’ve so far missed.
No help from Haynes with the wiring, but I have in mind a low power circuit through the thermoswitch (with a labelled fuse in cab) which energises a relay, to switch on the high power circuit (with 2 link fuses by left headlight) to the fans.
In a normal winter I’d not need the fans, but it’s ridiculously mild here!

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
The radiator fuse strip is mounted on the metal bar on top of the right headlight same side as the battery. The resistor in your car is behinde the panel under the front part of the headlight same side as your battery. The problem with this is the fastener that rusts and they drop on the spoiler, burning a hole in your bumper of the 2,5TDI and VR6..
I needed only the holder but this was not sold alone and I had to pay for the complete set with both coils. In 2008 I had to pay about £80.

If you look carefully you can see where it melted the spoiler at the bottom just between the 4 and 9 of the number plate.

Check out this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmZqifLRHRA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts