VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
how does he know it was eastern Europeans?

might have been single mothers trying to feed their kidsI:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
So if an Englishman had nicked a fish, he'd have banned anyone from the UK :*

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In that case his should be allowed a 'no single mothers' sign:D

I'm worried a fiat driver might phone the police over my 'volkswagons only' signI:

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I saw this in the paper. Can't believe they're considering prosecuting him, but presumably can't be bothered catching the people nicking his fish.

Black Sabbath will be next. Racism and religious prejudice. Just give Sharon a bit of notice to prepare Ozzy ;)

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
where my mum lives they have some eastern european shops that have signs on saying no english allowed:* and the local bank has a counter dedicated to eastern european customers, she said that she went to this counter when all the others were busy, this was the only one with nobody in the que and they refused to serve her!!. I shall leave that to your own judgementsI:

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
If my bank opens such a counter. I shall be walking in and closing the account...!!!

where my mum lives they have some eastern european shops that have signs on saying no english allowed:* and the local bank has a counter dedicated to eastern european customers, she said that she went to this counter when all the others were busy, this was the only one with nobody in the que and they refused to serve her!!. I shall leave that to your own judgementsI:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
So what's yours views in this http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-22104151

The police are looking to do him for some kind of racist offence:* its a free country in my book! It's his land! If he doesn't want them there then he's well within his rights not to let them on:*
I thought we had got over this:eek: it is clearly racist:*

just try replacing the words "Eastern Europeans" with "blacks" and tell me that you don't think it would be racist

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
If they are doing as you say, then they are also clearly racist and should be prosecuted:*

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't see the problem, it's his land he pays rates and maintains it. If he doesn't want them on his land it's his choice. If the owner can afford to lose the revenue from the eastern europens then why not. The eastern europeans and people offended will have to find somewhere else to fish and if he loses the lakes and camping site then it's his own fault...

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Does anyone have the right of admission to a given business?

I assumed that any business owner, be it garage, night club, fishing lake, whatever can turn away whoever he sees fit. For example, night club owners turning away groups of guys because they impact the male/female ratio in the club.

Finally, are eastern europeans a race? I would be pretty sure a serb doesnt class himself as the same race as bosnian. Sounds like a a geographical separation to me. You could say 'no southerners' in a pub in yorkshire, an no-one would bat an eyelid, and Im pretty confident you couldn't argue that southerners are a race.

Political correctness gone mad, one of the other things thats destroying this country.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Does anyone have the right of admission to a given business?

I assumed that any business owner, be it garage, night club, fishing lake, whatever can turn away whoever he sees fit. For example, night club owners turning away groups of guys because they impact the male/female ratio in the club.

Finally, are eastern europeans a race? I would be pretty sure a serb doesnt class himself as the same race as bosnian. Sounds like a a geographical separation to me. You could say 'no southerners' in a pub in yorkshire, an no-one would bat an eyelid, and Im pretty confident you couldn't argue that southerners are a race.

Political correctness gone mad, one of the other things thats destroying this country.
business owners do have the right to refuse admission on their own volition but it is racist to refuse entry as a blanket ban on all people who he thinks may be eastern European. they could perhaps be Norwegian with a heavy cold or perhaps they are from west berlin?

in your night club scenario the refusal of entry is a valid and reasonable one but clubbers are not refused entry due to their country of origin.

eastern Europeans are not a race as an homogenous mass but are made up of a range of ethnic groups and to discriminate on these grounds is indeed racist.

hope the fish guy is just ignorant (rather than a racist) because ignorance can be cured.

if there was a pub in Yorkshire that said no southerners im sure it would be challenged too.

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
if there was a pub in Yorkshire that said no southerners im sure it would be challenged too.
Do you really think (not specific to the example) that if some form of exclusion was set up by a business etc against the say 20 - 40 year old caucasian male that anyone would bat an eyelid?

It does always seem to be the 'racism' that gets reported in terms that of which excludes the minority not any action against the majority or perceived majority.

Is there even any law (Act of parliament) that covers this specifically?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Do you really think (not specific to the example) that if some form of exclusion was set up by a business etc against the say 20 - 40 year old caucasian male that anyone would bat an eyelid?

It does always seem to be the 'racism' that gets reported in terms that of which excludes the minority not any action against the majority or perceived majority.

not sure what your question is Ed?

I know of no business that would exclude 20-40 year old white males specifically as they are generally holders of wealth and have power over spending decisions i.e. the business would fail. so er why would any service ban white 20-40 year old males?

·
Registered
8,736 Posts

It is clearly racist, as I said earlier - replace the words "Eastern European" with "blacks" and then tell me it isn't racist.

I also don't agree that anyone should be able to steal his fish, but that is an entirely separate issue

Equality Act 2010 – discrimination and your rights

This information applies to England, Wales and Scotland
Who is protected

The Equality Act 2010 makes your rights not to be discriminated against stronger. Discrimination means treating someone worse than other people because of who they are.
The groups of people who have the right not be discriminated against have also been extended. People who belong to these groups have what are called protected characteristics.
It doesn't matter whether any of these characteristics apply to you, or the people in your life. If you are treated worse because someone thinks you belong to a group of people with protected characteristics, this is discrimination.
The Act now also protects you if people in your life, such as family members, friends or co-workers have a protected characteristic and you are treated less favourably because of that. For example, you are discriminated against because your son is gay.

The characteristics that are protected by the Equality Act 2010 are:
  • gender identity and gender reassignment
  • marriage or civil partnership (in employment only)
  • pregnancy and maternity
  • race
  • religion or belief
  • sex
  • sexual orientation.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,420 Posts
It's racist. I don't see why the owner can't see this if he's married to a Korean women.

He needs to be putting up a sign that reads "Put back all this fish you catch" and search peoples bags if he's suspicious. Or put up his prices and let everyone take the fish away to eat.

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
not sure what your question is Ed?

I know of no business that would exclude 20-40 year old white males specifically as they are generally holders of wealth and have power over spending decisions i.e. the business would fail. so er why would any service ban white 20-40 year old males?
True it would be highly unlikely any business would exclude 20 - 40 year old males. I 'll rephrase the 'question' see discussion point as best I can.

"there is an element of the young (?) caucasian population who feel increasing marginalized by increase legislation toward 'equality' what legislation exists to ensure they get equal rights"

Do the acts of parliament cover reverse racism, etc?

If a gay nightclub was to exclude straight men would there be a case to answer? Both in terms of legislation and how the press may pick up on it, would the same outrage be felt?

It is clearly racist, as I said earlier - replace the words "Eastern European" with "blacks" and then tell me it isn't racist.

Equality Act 2010 – discrimination and your rights

This information applies to England, Wales and Scotland
Who is protected

The Equality Act 2010 makes your rights not to be discriminated against stronger. Discrimination means treating someone worse than other people because of who they are.
The groups of people who have the right not be discriminated against have also been extended. People who belong to these groups have what are called protected characteristics.
It doesn't matter whether any of these characteristics apply to you, or the people in your life. If you are treated worse because someone thinks you belong to a group of people with protected characteristics, this is discrimination.
The Act now also protects you if people in your life, such as family members, friends or co-workers have a protected characteristic and you are treated less favourably because of that. For example, you are discriminated against because your son is gay.

The characteristics that are protected by the Equality Act 2010 are:
  • gender identity and gender reassignment
  • marriage or civil partnership (in employment only)
  • pregnancy and maternity
  • race
  • religion or belief
  • sex
  • sexual orientation.
The sign was racist end of I would never argue against that.

It would seem the act does include what I was getting at, if the theoretical night club as above did this it would be in violation of the act? Thanks Spanners it was something I was musing on :ILU:

The paragraph which is highlighted in bold (by me) in the quote is what gets my interest in terms of clubs, etc protected for characteristics. Can a church ban a muslim from entering (or vice versa for a mosque :eek:) would a Lesbians group be able to ban a bisexual female or more extreme but more likely to make the papers what if one started a club for white males LOL:

Very interesting point of law this, no?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts