VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
got 2.4 t4, wont start in mornings and occassionaly if left for a couple of hours. Simptoms exactly like when restarting after run out of fuel. ie nead to turn over for about 20 secs then gradually fire up.
Its not the glow plugs.
Wondered if theres a non return valve in the fuel line which may be letting the fuel drain back to the tank.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Wild guesses :

Leak back pipes - the rubber braided jobbies near the injectors - they perish, and air gets in ...... common reason for poor starts.

Fuel filter - make sure you have got rid of any air in the system by opening the valve thingy at the bottom and making sure fuel runs through it.

Make sure all fuel lines are secure (no dodgy jubilee clips)

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Yep possible air leak thats bleeding out with allot of cranking.
The white T piece that sits in the top of the fuel filter is a return valve that only opens when the fuel reaches 60 degrees,so when its colder it wont return to the tank,i have known them to go faulty and cause starting problems i cant remember how much they cost but price one up and if affordable then replace it.
Firstly i would check the hose clips on the fuel filter and the leak back pipes on each injector.

Valve thingy on the bottom of the fuel filter is not to let air out it is for draining water out of the filter that builds up over time.There is no air bleed nipple/screw at all as this system is self bleeding!

·
Registered
792 Posts
my 2.4 diesel caralle will not start either everything is fine but just wont fire up and no smell of diesel its like its not getting any fuel?

·
Registered
792 Posts
just checked the filter fuel is getting thru to the pump but thats it its not getting any further pump is not pumping it thru to the injectors pump has fuel in it . wat can this be is there another fuse thats stopping the pump working? would the pump just stop working with no warning? help please!

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Valve thingy on the bottom of the fuel filter is not to let air out it is for draining water out of the filter that builds up over time.There is no air bleed nipple/screw at all as this system is self bleeding!
We live and learn - I was always under the impression it let air out.... T: Got the leak back pipes bit right though A:

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Get a hold of the pump and ask someone to flick the ignition on,you are listening and feeling for the fuel shut off solenoid opening.If its working you will hear and feel itT:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed it. replaced the little pipe to the injectors and bunged in a non return valve for good measure. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts