VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just spent two weeks in Australia across multiple cities, saw a few T5's but all of them bog standard. No mods what so ever, not even a simple spoiler added?

Are Europeans the only ones to have this affection and fascination with Transporters?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've just spent two weeks in Australia across multiple cities, saw a few T5's but all of them bog standard. No mods what so ever, not even a simple spoiler added?

Are Europeans the only ones to have this affection and fascination with Transporters?
Its the Utes and 4x4a they go for in a big way. Some really cool and tough overlanding vehicles over there. The van campers, Mitsubishis and Hiaces, all look like they've been dragged out of a scrap heap backwards. I think parts etc are difficult and expensive for the Transporters.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Must be about $
Whats the import tax and paperwork like
for bringing a van in then?
Say £3000 to ship a single van?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
There are a few threads in the subject
It seems that RoRo-shipping is by far the less pricey option compared to container freight.

Flip that around BTW; How many Holdens do we see this side of the Equator? :*

As for the tuning; I suppose some bother some don`t. We seem to be looking for the hopped up ones which aren`t around as much

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The laws and regs out there for modifying vehicles are much more stringent than here, including obtaining insurance if any kind of mods are in place - and this makes it much harder to get into modifying.
Afaik, it applies to vehicles from a certain year on - so you're much more likely to see older vehicles modified than newer ones like T5s.

Remaps etc are banned, in fact the restrictions on what you can do are severe..
Wheel size can only be increased by 25mm, max.
Lowering - cannot have any part of the vehicle lower than 100mm at all.
No ECU mods under any circumstances.
Cannot remove a cat.
Loads more, but you also have to get an engineers certificate (costing $2k) to determine mods are safe too..

It explains the lack of modded vehicles!!

Have a look at these links - we definitely don't want this type of thing here!

http://rac.com.au/Motoring/Motoring-advice/About-my-car/Modifying-a-car.aspx
"All modifications must be approved by the Department for Planning and Infrastructure - Vehicle Licensing.
The modified vehicle must comply with the Australian Design Rules, the Road Traffic Vehicle Standards Regulations 2002 and the Road Traffic Vehicle Standard Rules 2002.
If you do not have DPI approval for your modification, your vehicle may be issued with a defect order, you could be fined or your vehicle de-licensed.
Be aware of what you can and can not do, as ignorance of the law is not a valid defence. If you modify your vehicle and don't tell your insurance company about the modifications you have made, your insurer may be able to cancel the policy or avoid paying a claim which you make."

http://www.rx8club.com/australia-new-zealand-forum-37/school-me-car-modification-laws-australia-194685/

etc etc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts