VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

When I started my 2005 AXD engine today it sounded a bit rough for about a second so I decided to check the oil. When I checked the dipstick there was no oil showing.

The thing is I normally use the oil warning light to prompt me to fill up with oil (not ideal I know) but now I am not convinced the low oil warning light is actually working anymore. I have read about oil warning lights constantly on but has anyone any experience of one not comming on when the oil level gets low? It seems to come on with the ignition on when the engine is not running.

Has anyone got any ideas? Its worrying that it might not be working, especially as I use to rely on it.

Thank you.

Julia.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sounds silly I know but check it's connected first. Sensor may have been coming on all the time and previous owner disconnected it to shut it up. I think It's a square box with an electrical connection coming off On the sump.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The sensor circuits can go irratic. Try leaving the battery disconnected for an hour to see if it has the effect of a reset. (Don't leave the keys in it & make sure you have any radio codes).

Not good practice to use the light as a "top up" prompt. (Same goes for the other fluids). Get into the habit of checking the levels manually, for your own peace of mind & your engine (which hopefully will be OK).

·
Registered
961 Posts
The oil level warning light does not come on until the level is actually below the lowest part of the dip stick, so in your case here it could actually still be working fine and you have checked when it's just above the sensor but just below where the dip stick can reach. But this does also highlight that it's better to check the dipstick more often. Every weekend for me because my miles are quite high.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
The oil level warning light does not come on until the level is actually below the lowest part of the dip stick, so in your case here it could actually still be working fine and you have checked when it's just above the sensor but just below where the dip stick can reach. But this does also highlight that it's better to check the dipstick more often. Every weekend for me because my miles are quite high.
My oil level light has always come on while it's still on the bottom of the dipstick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts