VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi strange problem I have. Van is a California Westfalia 1993 with approx 190,000 miles on clock. 2.4 D manual. Just had timing service and all filters checked/replaced, injectors tested, compression test. But it still has this problem it had before.

So drives ok. No smoke, no attles, no funny noises etc. My house is a the top of a 1km hill fairly steep, 1st gear all the way up, it goes ok. No overheating, no smoke etc, trundles up fine. BUT the last turn up my driveway I have to select neutral, handbrake start as its a tight turn up. Then comes the problem, make high revs, engage 1st gear and it almost dies and takes 5 or 6 attemps to cover 100metres.

Flummoxed as to what the problem may be?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks Clive

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Silly question first.

It is going into 1st and not 3rd?
Hi Paramedic, yes that what it feels like in 3rd 4th etc. so i made sure i was in 1st, at least i think it was, as could not shift over to left any more and it seemed to be in the right place for 1st. Going to try the same run tomorrow. Can engage 1st normally easily.

·
Registered
513 Posts
What can happen - but shouldn't happen randomly - is that the plastic balls on the linkage on top of the gearbox wear out. Then someone thinks "OMG I need to adjust my gear lever!!" and they mess with the pinch bolt underneath, find its now worse, take to the internet and find the correct solution. They then faff around for hours trying to get the - very critical - position on the pinch bolt underneath right.

My van has had this treatment, and it was for a while awkward to find first, often ending up in reverse or third. Once you knew where 1st was it was ok, and you kind of got used to it, but it wasn't right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What can happen - but shouldn't happen randomly - is that the plastic balls on the linkage on top of the gearbox wear out. Then someone thinks "OMG I need to adjust my gear lever!!" and they mess with the pinch bolt underneath, find its now worse, take to the internet and find the correct solution. They then faff around for hours trying to get the - very critical - position on the pinch bolt underneath right.

My van has had this treatment, and it was for a while awkward to find first, often ending up in reverse or third. Once you knew where 1st was it was ok, and you kind of got used to it, but it wasn't right.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Howdy

Further to Paramedic’s excellent suggestion, VW have a ‘special tool’ that in theory simplifies gearbox/shift-lever setup on the T4, namely tool 3398.
This fits in the gear-shift housing and requires the pinch bolt to be undone to start with.
In essence after you fit this over the gear shift, where it will hold the shift in optimum ‘neutral’ position, you then establish ‘neutral’ on the gearbox proper by playing with the plate near the plastic balls, (not using the lever obvs). Neutral may be intuitive or you can check by spinning a wheel.
In theory, you have then established the correct relationship between gear-shift and gearbox, so you tighten up the pinch-bolt et voila Robert is your mum’s gentleman friend.
3398 comes up on eBah sometimes. This one’s cheap, but postage from France sucks. See item 393210576181.

Nice weather in Galicia at mo.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you search there is also a thread where inserting a 10mm drill bit down one side of the shift lever and wedging it in place from the other side does the same job, except the fore/aft position,

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
True, but the threads often have conflicting comments and there isn’t a “one size drill fits all” solution. More importantly people don’t always realise that there is a simple principle underpinning the setting position for the gear lever. It all becomes too prescriptive, which may suit armchair experts, but doesn’t always help the most people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Howdy

Further to Paramedic’s excellent suggestion, VW have a ‘special tool’ that in theory simplifies gearbox/shift-lever setup on the T4, namely tool 3398.
This fits in the gear-shift housing and requires the pinch bolt to be undone to start with.
In essence after you fit this over the gear shift, where it will hold the shift in optimum ‘neutral’ position, you then establish ‘neutral’ on the gearbox proper by playing with the plate near the plastic balls, (not using the lever obvs). Neutral may be intuitive or you can check by spinning a wheel.
In theory, you have then established the correct relationship between gear-shift and gearbox, so you tighten up the pinch-bolt et voila Robert is your mum’s gentleman friend.
3398 comes up on eBah sometimes. This one’s cheap, but postage from France sucks. See item 393210576181.

Nice weather in Galicia at mo.
Thanks very nuch, useful information. A bit hot here too! We hope to come down your way sometime! We in Roses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Think will order bushes and ask my local mechanic to do it, prior to asking him if he has the tool/knowledge to do this. Or is this a job a bolter onner can do himself having done a youtube search etc? Thanks very much for feedback! Cheers Clive

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Yes it is doable - see this article:

and

You could actually use tool 3258 for this but nobody actually does cos they’re so expensive and rare. In fact most will only change the balls. In your case you may not need to if it turns out to be just an adjustment issue. So get a handle on what you are actually trying to achieve, which is setting the gearshift to match the actual setting in the gearbox. Bear in mind that the ‘resting’ position of the gear-lever in the middle of its cutout corresponds to Neutral in the 3rd/4th gear plane, when the gearbox is in neutral. That’s the fundamental rule.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes it is doable - see this article:

and

You could actually use tool 3258 for this but nobody actually does cos they’re so expensive and rare. In fact most will only change the balls. In your case you may not need to if it turns out to be just an adjustment issue. So get a handle on what you are actually trying to achieve, which is setting the gearshift to match the actual setting in the gearbox. Bear in mind that the ‘resting’ position of the gear-lever in the middle of its cutout corresponds to Neutral in the 3rd/4th gear plane, when the gearbox is in neutral. That’s the fundamental rule.
Thanks very much. Hope to do it next week. Just ordered some new balls!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks very much. Hope to do it next week. Just ordered some new balls!
Thanks for your help. After being told that i need a new diesel pump i thought i should investigate myself.
Glad i did, the return rubber pipe off one of the injectors had a crack in it, must have been sucking in air going up hill and more so under load maybe...1euro for a metre of fuel pipe, changed all pipes and running up hills no problem. I cant believe one little pipe caused all this headache...

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Brilliant. Pleased this is sorted and such a simple solution.
So no indication diesel was escaping down the block before?
. . . Ciao

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,908 Posts
I seem to have to replace those hoses every couple of years!
Doesn't matter if I buy cheap, or from VW.....same thing happens!
Tried silicone, braided, every type I can.......they only last a couple of years. :(

Thing is, they are supposed to just let excess fuel back to the tank.....
Even if you remove them, shouldn't make any difference to performance....only the mess left on your driveway as the fuel drips out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Brilliant. Pleased this is sorted and such a simple solution.
So no indication diesel was escaping down the block before?
. . . Ciao
At first there was not, then there was the smell of diesel and then visible. But problem was i trusted my mechanic and he said failed injector and fuel pump. Thats when i lost confidence and decided to do it myself. Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts