VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

When I had my van converted, I had a zig unit installed along with leisure battery and the rest of electric system. When I hooked it up with mains at our first camp site, I could not run my laptop from the socket which I assumed I should have been able to. I camped for two weeks on leisure battery alone running the fridge and lights with no problem as I was driving for few hours every day.

So far I have identified that when connected to the mains, there is some electricity in the socket (checked with the tester which lights up) but absolutely no voltage output (tested with a meter). I have tried vitually all the settings possible in the zig unit to see if it works but in vain.

I do not have much knowledge about the electrics and the guy who converted it is absolutely ages away for him to have a look.

I have included some pictures below of how it is set up.

Zig Panel and power output sockets

Zig Unit

Site hook up wiring

I am also led to believe that when connected to mains, it also charges the leisure battery which would be a very helpful thing to have to keep the battery charged when not camping. I have been advised to switch the orange switch to main, charger switch to down position while connecting the mains. Tried that too but doesn't work.

Any advice from you all experienced guys will be most gratefully appreciated. I live in Andover, Wilts area, so I would also be thankful if someone not very far can offer to have a look (for a charge if necessary) to check/correct any fault.

Thanking you all in advance...Merry Xmas and a very happy New Year!!!!

Rob.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
here is a manual showing wiring have you checked the fuses on the front panel not uncommon for them to blow, to be honest zig cf9 are expensive but rubbish tho better if it works at least
from what i can see looks ok you cant really wire the mains side wrong most be a fuse or loose connection poss inside fuse box
http://www.freewebs.com/12voltsdc/Zig CF9 Manual PDF.pdf

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Karlos, just checked the fueses, they all seem to be ok, nothing blown up. Still puzzled by why it is not working. The wire diagram is difficult for me to interpret. Thanks again for the pdf, I'll see if I can teach myself something here!

Anyone else has any other suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Looks like the socket is wired directly from the consumer unit ?
If so have you tried hooking up your van at home and plugging something into the socket ?
Sounds like you could have a loose or disconnected neutral on the mains side , does the orange neon light up when you switch the mains on?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yep, you 240v sockets are wire directly from the consumer unit. The Zig is not in the 240v system so the sockets will only be live when hooked up to mains...

Paul :ILU::ILU:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies.

I have tried hooking it up directly with mains at home, the orange neon light DOES NOT light up. I did try running electric items through the socket when directly connected to the mains. No luck. I was surprised because I was able to get some electricity in the socket (proved by a tester) when connected to mains but NO voltage output (tested by a multimeter) from the socket even when connected to the mains.

I am puzzled because the mains is connected with consumer unit and the sockets come out directly from the consumer unit, so where has all of 240V disappeared?

Rob.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You need to check the wiring from the hook up to the consumer unit

Like I said you could have a loose / disconnected neutral

Take the cover off the consumer unit , connect the hook up , check power between live and earth , then between live and neutral, you should get 240v on both

Please be really careful if your not confident but it will be a simple fault., you will probably find a loose conection at the consumer unit or at the back of the hook up socket

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
You need to check the wiring from the hook up to the consumer unit

Like I said you could have a loose / disconnected neutral

Take the cover off the consumer unit , connect the hook up , check power between live and earth , then between live and neutral, you should get 240v on both

Please be really careful if your not confident but it will be a simple fault., you will probably find a loose conection at the consumer unit or at the back of the hook up socket
I second this. As you found that your test light lit up this suggests that the live is intact but there is a problem with the neutral (blue) wire. This should be connected to a bus bar inside the consumer unit. Also check all other blue wire connections in here.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hooorraaay!!! I have now found the problem and sorted it now.

After testing for current and voltage from the mains onwards step by step, I narrowed it down to a loose cable on the hook up plug of the van itself and once connected properly, everything is working like magic!!!

Immensely grateful to all for taking time to write all suggestions. Your guys are the best!!!

Best wishes for the New Year!!

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts