VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been searching for a long time but not found an answer. i have a late 94 T4 2.4D.
It has the clock with a mechanical speedo and no rev counter.
Had the clutch changed a couple of years ago and pretty soon after the speedo became erratic.finally to stop altogether.
Finally got round to getting a replacement cable and installed. Still no speedo and it turns out the old cable was fine :eek:
Anyone got any ideas of what to do next, it was difficult to inspect the gearbox side as i did it on the drive with the van jacked up.
Thanks
Kev

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Neil,
Thats great. If you are from VW heritage, thats where i got the cable from!. Will pop in soon and get the part, its worth a punt at £1.50.
Cheers for your help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Neil, is it just a case of dropping the new one in after i remove the cable from the gearbox?.
I will be doing the work on my drive so is it do able 'blind' like i did the cable?.
Cant seem to find any how to's on it anywhere.
Cheers.

·
Trade Member Plus
340 Posts
Hi,

Yes, I am from Heritage.

To change the pinion you will first have to remove the pinion guide, the Speedo cable screws onto this metal housing. It is a little tricky to get to but it is reachable from the engine bay area or underneath if up on wheel ramps. Once you have unscrewed the guide you will then be able to remove the pinion.

Pinion Guide https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/014409193B/guide-for-speedo-pinion-mk1-2-golf-t4-90-03/

Good luck

Neil VWH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts