1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

T5 2.5 BNZ 2008

Bit nooby sorry....

Could someone please confirm which is cylinder No1 on this engine.

Also, what is the direction of rotation of the engine, ie which direction do I turn it when using the crank locking tool? The instructions mention turning it until the marks align in the direction of engine rotation....

Many thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi guys,
Is there anyone out there who could give me some advice?
I am replacing camshaft.
How can I check the TDC on cylinder one on above engine?
Helps would be much appreciated as Iam stuck now. :confused:
Many thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
You can't set the engine up with a new camshaft or replacement of existing without a timing tool kit. The locking tool will set the pistons in a specific place so the camshaft can be set, there is a locking tool that locks the camshaft to the head as well so the cam gear can be torqued up and the backlash can be set correctly. DON'T TRY SETTING IT UP without the tool as you'll have problems

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can't set the engine up with a new camshaft or replacement of existing without a timing tool kit. The locking tool will set the pistons in a specific place so the camshaft can be set, there is a locking tool that locks the camshaft to the head as well so the cam gear can be torqued up and the backlash can be set correctly. DON'T TRY SETTING IT UP without the tool as you'll have problems
Festa, thanks for your quick reply.
I know that the timing needs a special tool and I have it. So the TDC position tool VS5031 will fit onto the crankshaft in only one position if I understand. Then I rotate the crank to engine rotation and in max 360deg, the marks should meet flange if I am right.
My question is, every 360deg rotation the no1 piston is in TDC?
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Hi, according to Haynes manual it says No1 cylinder is on the right hand side of engine
can we clarify what is what please xxx
The Haynes manual means the right hand side as viewed from a driver's perspective, which is the left hand side as you face the engine bay from the front. Cylinder 1 is definitely the other end from the gearbox.

Most things in vehicles are described from a driver's perspective to avoid confusion between left and right depending on the viewing orientation. Also offside, and nearside are used, which works fine for a RHD vehicle, but changes sides for a LHD vehicle, and visa-versa.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts