VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hope you have all got some nice VW goodies for Christmas, anyway my question, having only just got my van (2.4D) and still finding my way around it, I took it for a good run today and everything was fine until I got home when the noticed the steering pump was very noisy now I checked the steering fluid and belts seem ok , after a cuppa and going back out to the van I started her up and alas no noise from the pump while I turned the wheel? anyone got any ideas what it could be?

The only possibility I could come up with is at present it has no belly pan on and it was raining while I was out for a run, slipping belt???

It will be in the next couple of weeks be having new belts fitted as a matter of course due to the fact I do not know the history of when the belts were changed last and hopefully a belly pan fitted.

Any advice always welcome.... T:

Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
hhmm strange when you say the steering pump was noisy how do you know it was the pump. if your power steering belt is loose when you full lock can you continue to turn the wheel sliping the belt. pumps are not that expensive i had a dodgy pump on my van.

·
Registered
433 Posts
hhmm strange when you say the steering pump was noisy how do you know it was the pump. if your power steering belt is loose when you full lock can you continue to turn the wheel sliping the belt. pumps are not that expensive i had a dodgy pump on my van.
your theory on not having the belly pan on would'nt be helpful considering how close to the floor the pump is thus causing the belt to slip.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Hi mate you could try pouring some water on the belt while engine is running as see if it happens failing that your pump may be overheating and causing a bearing to become noisey but thats a long shot*<:)>

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Gotta 95 2.4, had it for two years, on full lock steering pump squeals (or belt) but no probs so I'm not that concerned*<:)> Doesn't affect the way it drives on the roadT:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I'd change the pump, my 1.9d did the same, would squeal real bad in the wet and what was worse/dangerous was it would loose the power bit normally going round islands....... Fill ya pants moments I'll tel ya, I changed the pump for one from gsf and not had any probs since

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Reckon I,d be inclined to do the cheapest check first ...drain the old fluid , and get fresh in it . They all absorb moisture , and degrade in time . The colour of fluid in the resevoir is always a good indicator .. Any hydraulics are similar ..

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
......If the belt was slipping , it will sqeal ( if belt too loose ), or judder , I have no belly pan at the mo , and unless you go through deep puddles at low speed , it wont throw water up that far . generally .

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys let me try to explain a little further, you know the noise the pump will make if you turned the wheel hard over to full lock (rumbling noise?) and held it there it sounds like like as you turn from full lock left to right, thats all the way through the turn does that explain it any better?

My theroy of the belt slipping is/was a shot in the dark

Thanks all

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
......If the belt was slipping , it will sqeal ( if belt too loose ), or judder , I have no belly pan at the mo , and unless you go through deep puddles at low speed , it wont throw water up that far . generally .

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed today after the pump started getting noise to day (not squealing) and rechecking my fluid levels that the hydraulic fluid looked liked you had been blowing bubbles in it really bubbly on top but not frothy, There has been no sign of a leak at all the pump only gets noisy after the engine has warmed up, steering seems all ok.

Any ideas? possible drawing in air from somewhere?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Get down to Halfords and buy some Slik50 power steering additive. You won't believe the difference T:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all,

Ok the problem is sorted it turned out to be that a previous owner had put in a cheap (wrong grade) of fluid hence the bubbling as when it warmed up the fluid thinned out to the consistency of water.

So the lesson on this one is make sure you put in the right type of fluids and not cut corners.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts