VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

For those of you who prefer to stay away from campsites you may find this map of some use. Its still very much a work in progress.

www.nomadgb.co.uk/map.html

At the moment I’m slowly working my way round the UK spotting POIs (using Google Earth) that would be of interest to motorhome users, I expect they will be of interest to the wild camping T4/T5 owner as well. The Scottish Highlands, the Lake District and after tonight’s upload most of North Wales will have been covered.

The map is free to use (and it always will be) and if you want to check out a location you can simply drop the street view man onto the map to have a look around. I hope people find it useful and I’m happy to take suggestions for improvements both to the map and the POI categories in here.

Thanks

(P.S. I couldn’t find anything in the forum rules about posting link to a site like mine, I hope its OK)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
A1 - would be even better if it could be accessed ok on eg a blackberry when away (map just too small on screen & can't navigate, unless anyone can advise), don't normally plan in detail, just drive down a quiet road & find a pull-in.

know several of the spots esp in the Highlands, some iffy to actually overnight in but a good starting point
well done, obviously a lot of work gone into it

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A1 - would be even better if it could be accessed ok on eg a blackberry when away (map just too small on screen & can't navigate, unless anyone can advise), don't normally plan in detail, just drive down a quiet road & find a pull-in.
Blackberries (most) have very small screens it would be very difficult to display a map without it being some sort of app. I do intend to continue developing the functionality of the map in time. It’s just about passable on a smartphone (iPhone/android) at the moment.

know several of the spots esp in the Highlands, some iffy to actually overnight in but a good starting point
well done, obviously a lot of work gone into it
Thanks I think about 70 hours so far :D

Let me know which ones are iffy and I’ll review them, just need the LocID or rough location. I’m after creating a dataset that can be relied on.

I really appreciate the feedback. T:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At the moment I’m working round the UK section by section but if anyone wants a rest location for a particular area that hasn’t been done yet let me know and I can cover off an area earlier.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This week I’ve added locations for the following areas: -

• Exmoor and North Devon
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • and Orkney
  • Pembrokeshire National Park (Coastal)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Latest numbers for the site -

Rest Stops - potential wild camping spots - 2893
Walks - links to detailed descriptions/maps etc. - 505

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I’ve now completed the whole of the Scottish Islands for potential rest stops, I’ve just got the central belt area to finish and Scotland will be covered.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Latest numbers for the site -

Rest Stops - potential wild camping spots - 2893
Walks - links to detailed descriptions/maps etc. - 505
A bit of an update: -

Rest Stops - potential wild camping spots - 4048

Also added a list of seafish award winning chippies, and a few of my own favourites. I’m looking to add affordable campsites as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts