VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in the market for a T4. I've found a really nice one which is 20 years old, and has less than 60k miles on it. Its going for about £4500. Its a 2.4D.

I have a mind to convert it to a simple camper. The only thing that's putting me off the purchase is that it has no chance of driving into many of the low emission cities in Europe (http://urbanaccessregulations.eu). Although I know a lot of people just ignore the signs and risk getting fines. I'd probably do the same if I owned this vehicle.

But my questions are:
- How has the steady introduction of low emission zones across Europe affected the price of the VW T4?
- And how will it affect the resale value of it in say 1-2 years time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Germany, wanted to use the van to travel around Europe. It's a bit of a bummer that I cant legally enter certain European cities. London doesn't really bother me though.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
I'm in Germany, wanted to use the van to travel around Europe. It's a bit of a bummer that I cant legally enter certain European cities. London doesn't really bother me though.
as you will be aware the Germans dont like the big brother is watching you situation so most of the enforcment of the Umwelt zones is done by one on one action. traffic wardens can fine you if parked and the police can pull you over. No one can do anything if you are parked on private land in a Green Zone except wait for you to move.

Some places do have exemptions that will allow cars with no sticker or yellow or red to enter a green Zone but they are rare.

I also know that some areas will issue exemption certificates for some forms of transport but they cost and i dont think they are transferable to other areas.

options. park and ride. or a bike rack on the back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like a high price to pay for a 20 year old van which cannot be driven in most cities in Germany. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I live 20mins from London & would never drive into it..... why would you?? just to sit in traffic & no chance of parking anywhere :(
Just jump on the train & walk or tube it... T:

·
Registered
924 Posts
I live 20mins from London & would never drive into it..... why would you?? just to sit in traffic & no chance of parking anywhere :(
Just jump on the train & walk or tube it... T:
THE LEZ in the west (Hillingdon) is within urban areas not just the big smoke. Tubes dont go everywhere.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
....... The only thing that's putting me off the purchase is that it has no chance of driving into many of the low emission cities in Europe (http://urbanaccessregulations.eu). Although I know a lot of people just ignore the signs and risk getting fines. I'd probably do the same if I owned this vehicle.

But my questions are:
- How has the steady introduction of low emission zones across Europe affected the price of the VW T4?
- And how will it affect the resale value of it in say 1-2 years time?
If you have a look at the web site you mention it seems that a number of the cities schemes do not affect cars that do not originate from that country however fines are high so it will pay to be correct.
Londons LEZ initially caused massive price value drops but that seems to have settled and many sellers simply rely upon the ignorance of the buyer. So by the time the vehicles been re-registered they may get a whole stack of £100 bills (the daily fee for a non-compliant T4) to pay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts