VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted any interesting non-standard spot or fog lights into their bumper?
If so please share & show pics.

Note - by non-standard I mean anything that is not supposed to be fitted to a T4.

Soon a set of fog lights from my other-halves Ford Focus are going to be spare and I was thinking about trying to mount them in there.:D
Photoshop of what it might look like.

Bumper needs 'blacking' again.....I:

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Not bad. How does it match up the the preformed cut outs?

Ive seen a few guys use one large lamp like they donon the bays. Always seem to suit othervans but not nime lol

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
Looks good shaped round the forward hook/eye (for pulling numties out of the mud while your in reverse)A:

Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Guys

How does it match up the the preformed cut outs?
That I don't know yet but I've compared a scaled photo of each fog light against the T4 bumper and it looks 'do-able'.

I need to fit the new bumper to the mrs car first, then rip her old fogs from the old bumper and then they're mine.:D

I think I'll pull the metal deflector out of the fogs too so they work more like spot lights, also easier to wire spots as I'll relay them off the high beam feed. I tend to never use front fogs anyway so at least a spots they'll get some use.
Might also pop some LED white side light bulbs in them as well to use'um DRL's - got to make the most of them.:ILU:T:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Cheers Guys

That I don't know yet but I've compared a scaled photo of each fog light against the T4 bumper and it looks 'do-able'.

I need to fit the new bumper to the mrs car first, then rip her old fogs from the old bumper and then they're mine.:D

I think I'll pull the metal deflector out of the fogs too so they work more like spot lights, also easier to wire spots as I'll relay them off the high beam feed. I tend to never use front fogs anyway so at least a spots they'll get some use.
Might also pop some LED white side light bulbs in them as well to use'um DRL's - got to make the most of them.:ILU:T:
If you stick some orange Leds in them as well they could Triple up as indicators to , Now thats getting value for money LOL:

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I think I'll pull the metal deflector out of the fogs too so they work more like spot lights
Hi just read your post , save yourself the trouble pulling out the shield wont make them any different
The lens / reflector does the beam the metal cover is just to shield the bulb so the bulb its self doesnt dazzle oncoming road users
Use them on main beam by all means just safe yourself a job and potentially scratching the reflector T:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did yo9u fit the fo9cus lights in, ive got a focus im breaking and was thinking the same. Do you have pics?
I haven't even changed the bumper on the focus yet...;)

1st job (next week or the one after) - learn how to remove a focus front bumper & then fit the new one.

2nd job (later that day) - break the fogs out of the old bumper.
I say "break" as I have tried to remove the fog light surrounds before and they just won't dis-engage so I'm probably going to have to break them off to get to the fog light fixings.
Then once I have the fogs out I'll be able to assess whether they'll fit okay or not.

(several weeks later on :() - learn how to remove a T4 front bumper and see what happens then.:D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi just read your post , save yourself the trouble pulling out the shield wont make them any different
The lens / reflector does the beam the metal cover is just to shield the bulb so the bulb its self doesnt dazzle oncoming road users
Use them on main beam by all means just safe yourself a job and potentially scratching the reflector T:
Yeh, I see what your saying but the lens need a good clean inside due to years of dry on condensation build up. I tried with a bent stick and made them a load better but that shield thing gets right in the way so has to go - if I can rip it out I will.

Once installed I will adjust the light high so they throw the light out further to behave less like fogs and more like spots.
I might also disable them for each MOT so I don't have to debate as to whether they are fogs or not with the tester.:D

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Alright fella,

I reckon it would be difficult to mount them as you'll need to make up brackets, maybe leave them mounted to part of the focus bumper and cut a couple of inches wide all around before you start offering them up. That should leave you something to bond to the t4 bumper.

I should also have a word with your local mot garage as i think new regs state that if they are fitted, fogs must work, they must be independantly switched and have a warning light on the dash. I'm not sure if they ever test the beam angle though?

I also think it is not legal to fit spots that low in the bumper.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I should also have a word with your local mot garage as i think new regs state that if they are fitted, fogs must work, they must be independantly switched and have a warning light on the dash. I'm not sure if they ever test the beam angle though?

He has no problem with an mot Front fogs or spots
Rear fogs must work and have a tell tale but front dont come into test at all

Theres been a debat on the legalitys of spot lamps at a certain height its a mixed bag of ideas i didnt find anything that refered to legality only stuff for type approval and kit car building etc
Ford fiesta XR2i s used to have spots and fogs in the lower bumper from the factory .

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright fella,

I reckon it would be difficult to mount them as you'll need to make up brackets, maybe leave them mounted to part of the focus bumper and cut a couple of inches wide all around before you start offering them up. That should leave you something to bond to the t4 bumper.

I'm planning to basically have both bumpers off first so I can 'ummm & arr' for a while before the cutters come out. If if doesn't look good I won't proceed as I don't want it looking tat.

I should also have a word with your local mot garage as i think new regs state that if they are fitted, fogs must work, they must be independently switched and have a warning light on the dash. I'm not sure if they ever test the beam angle though?

Yeh, I will have a last once over the MOT testers manual just to make sure I'm not going fall foul but as said above I don't think front fogs or spots are part of the test. I have read that there is a minimum height for lights, and that low light have to be fog lights but the XR2i is very good example of why that might only have been applicable many years ago.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Yeh, I will have a last once over the MOT testers manual just to make sure I'm not going fall foul but as said above I don't think front fogs or spots are part of the test. I have read that there is a minimum height for lights, and that low light have to be fog lights but the XR2i is very good example of why that might only have been applicable many years ago.
Trust me im not lying about the mot
I have been testing for 15 years now :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts