VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked through previous threads for non starting but still have problems. Van is a 2.4 non turbo diesel. Last out for a run about 2 weeks ago - did start but with minor delay, plenty of fuel, starter motor turns over well ( has had to be recharges due to my attemps at starting). Fitted new fuel filter after trying for a few days of non starting. Found 12v on isolater valve on diesel pump and could hear a 'click' when tapped it with a 12v lead. There is no white smoke after trying, maybe there was initially but not in any quantity. Anybody got any ideas please :confused:

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
first check/change glow plugs and the cables to glow plugs are getting power then it could be the biggest relay the glow plug one under your steering wheel,
if you remove glow plugs you can test them on the battery hold the head treaded part on negative and put power to the small screw tip it should then glow orange on the tip if it dont there faulty, dont hold it without pliers as they get hot
1 check glow plugs and relay
2 check immobiliser if fitted turned of
3 check fuel 12v feed
after this your then looking at fuel timing etc

·
Registered
24 Posts
thanks for above mate..which no. relay is it i should be checking as mine is doing same (but NO click if i remember?:*?)? if its the switch (electromagentic one) any ideas where to get one, as our pump is already reconditioned when we got the van in July 2010 .. any help greatefully returned with a bacon butty & brew when you're in the area!! ;)A:T:

·
Registered
64 Posts
As a quick check ,on the left hand side of the engine bay there is a small plastic box ,open it and inside is a fuse ,does it look OK ,if so either put a meter on it to ground and see if you get 12volts when the yellow light is on ,or connect with a jump lead the positive on the battery to the fuse for 10 seconds then quickly get in and try to start ,if it starts or if you dont get 12 volts your relay needs changing ,if I remember you need to undo a nut and move a bar to get to the relay .

If you do get 12 volts or the van still wont start with the jump lead I would check / change the glow plugs.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
24 Posts
As a quick check ,on the left hand side of the engine bay there is a small plastic box ,open it and inside is a fuse ,does it look OK ,if so either put a meter on it to ground and see if you get 12volts when the yellow light is on ,or connect with a jump lead the positive on the battery to the fuse for 10 seconds then quickly get in and try to start ,if it starts or if you dont get 12 volts your relay needs changing ,if I remember you need to undo a nut and move a bar to get to the relay .

If you do get 12 volts or the van still wont start with the jump lead I would check / change the glow plugs.

Hope this helps
power is going to the glow plugs (at last service in july last yr) , T: Do you mean the little black box behind the n/s headlight next to the cooling fan relay box? If so, these are intact... havent tested voltage tho..:confused:

·
Registered
573 Posts
the key switch is a POS on the T4. Judst because the fuel cut off clicks does not nean it is getting current in the on and starter position....use a test light to confirm the key switch is sending current in on and starter position..... same for GPrelay....check for current at GP in on position.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the key switch is a POS on the T4. Judst because the fuel cut off clicks does not nean it is getting current in the on and starter position....use a test light to confirm the key switch is sending current in on and starter position..... same for GPrelay....check for current at GP in on position.
this is my first t4 & i have no idea what you mean by this:confused:.Where is the gp relay appologie's for this i,m not thick or anything its just hard getting info on van's that hayne's dont do a manual forLOL:LOL::(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts