VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Only a true techy would answer like that. Cheeky *&***

I have a plan on the dipstick. I've temporarily sealed it - Crezz you'd be proud, a true scrap heap moment. 2" of garden hose and a pair of jubilee clips. Job done. A: I am going to sort later though by trying to use the stupid long dipstick tube off the original engine. I'll do it during an oil change. I'll then put 4L of oil in wait till it settles and mark the dipstick. :cool:

Anyway I tinkered last night and the timing is much better now and she really runs quite nice and pulls pretty well. Nort perfect but getting there for sure. I want to advance it as far as I can, just before it pinks so it'll suit the LPG and hopefully run a tiny bit cooler.

Power steering still to sort and a check up by my local spanner man to get the timing and mix on the carb just right. He's also going to give me a nice letter saying engine change is A1. I can then get the log book updated with the DVLA. Rasp: They're clamping down on us Crezz. :(

What will you give me for all my left over bits Crezz? I know you want them to play with in your playpen / garage. Fancy doing a turbo conversion in a Golf. My old block is your boy T:

Must get those pics on

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OK here we go

DAY 1

here she is at the start

started stripping all the front and bits bits off. You can see the carb has gone and lots of tape everywhere where I labelled everything as I went. The LPG "flux capacitor" was just unbolted from its mount and placed in the battery bay area. I do not want fiddle with that!

With the drive shafts off, van jacked up nice and high we positioned the engine crane and undid the mounts. removing the exhaust was a pig even with the right tool. Got there though. Engine was lowered onto the floor.

We unceremoniously draggdd the engine out and removed the gear box. Here she is on the floor.

I then cleared up, bought me chips and enjoyed a couple of sly cans before bed.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
DAY 2

Today was about getting the new engine ready. Taking manifolds and other auxillaries off the old engine (alternator etc.) and getting them on the new engine. Side by side. New on the left

Cambelt was changed, gaskets and seals changed where we could (rocker cover, fuel pump etc. etc.)

CHALLENGE 1 - Dipstick

I don't believe it. VW actually made 2 ever so slightly different blocks first photo shows the van block with the dipstick tube protruding from a small shelf in the casting. 2nd picture is the Golf block. NO SHELF :eek: :*

Couldn't move it so we carried on. Upon inspection the tube will stay clear of the fans and stuff but will obviously give a false reading. thinking

CHALLENGE 2 - Oil Filter Bracket

Oil filter bracket was missing off the new engine. I intended to use the van one until we found - THEY WERE DIFFERENT - Diferent blocks again. Again van on the left. Photos are at the wrong angle by the way

We were stuffed this time. Panic trip to a local scrap yard and some luck finding a Mk2 Golf. We basically raped it. Got the bracket, fuel pump. I wanted the exhaust manifold too but couldn't get the thing off. Found a better dipstick (not chewed). T: Then I noticed a sad looking 16V in the corner. Engine still in there and generally complete. Such a shame! :(

Got the new power steering rack fitted too. much easier when you can stand in the engine bay!!

PROBLEM. track rod ends were goosed on the power steering rack so we swapped them too.

fitted

To finish the day we got all the bits swapped over, new clutch fitted (note the alignment tool) and refitted the gearbox with the original van flywheel. We also changed the sump pan (and gasket). NOTE do this before fixing the flywheel. There are 2 bolts which are absiolute pigs to get to with trhe flywheel on.

opted for a damn good steak, caesar sald and another couple of sly cans before bed. Dead

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
DAY 3

basically get the new engine in and reconnected. Cant say much as it's basically plug and play!

And there we are done.

Had a little trouble getting her going (tried the original plugs and leads to start) but when we swapped them over got her coughing away. Got her running but rough. test drive confirmed it. gutless but at high revs the potential could be seen.

shower and straight to bed this time!!!!

PROBLEMS

timing obviously. It was way out. Exhaust manifold was actually glowing to begin with :eek:

petrol / air mix just a check needed to get it just right.

Oil and the dipstick. See my post above. Bunged it for now but I'll sort it by fitting the long one off the original engine and bending it to a nice location. I'll mark the dipstick when I do an oil change.

tracking needs doing now we've put the new steering rack in

Power steering this is my nemesis. Bought some bits off a 2.5L only to find out now that the pipework and pump is diffeerent. So I need to source some pipes (anyone?)

Final notes.

Tweaked the timing last night and she's 1000% better now. Pulls in all gears, quiet and smooth.

I've got my local garage to do a check over tomorrow. He's also happy to give me a letter to say the swap is all OK if I want to run this past the DVLA. It seems they are clamping down.

Lastly big thanks to my mate who helped me here. It's actually not difficult but it is a 2 person job, a little bit of knowhow helps and some decent tools to get to those awkward bits. I'd have had no chance without his help, experience, quality tools and a good supply of tea!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Fantastic job Colyn, but i can't belive you didn't pull the front bumper off, only 2 bolts behind the number plate, then you can throw tools everywhere without worrying about the paintwork. you must be more careful than me I:

This gets my vote for 'most interesting thread of the year' A: - Jimbo send the bloke a crate of beer!

cheers
crezz.

ps - love that little wooden stool, my gran has one like that!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Fantastic job Colyn, but i can't belive you didn't pull the front bumper off, only 2 bolts behind the number plate, then you can throw tools everywhere without worrying about the paintwork. you must be more careful than me I:

This gets my vote for 'most interesting thread of the year' A: - Jimbo send the bloke a crate of beer!

cheers
crezz.

ps - love that little wooden stool, my gran has one like that!
Cheers bud T:

RE the bumper. We thought about it but there's a big cross member behind it. Looked at and found it wasn't really needed.

I should make a list of essential tools I guess. It would include:

small wooden stool,
small plastic chair (in pink)
LOL:

Seriously

16mm and 18mm spanners for the rear engine mount. Bit of an odd size.
Allen keys and hex spanners etc. these are everywhere.
sockets / ratchets with universal joints etc.
Star and spline keys / spanners. Drive shafts plus a few other bits.
Exhaust removal tool or C clamp contraption
Clutch alignment tool (handy)
taps and dies. We needed these to make threads for the new engine mounts!!
timing light, one with an advance capability would be better. Bit above me though.
Engine crane (obviously)
Damn good kettle and supply of tea, milk etc.
Swear box

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Further update:-

Taken the belt off the power steering pump. Went for another spin to get a better idea of how she performs. Good is the answer but a little hesitant at low revs so it isn't perfect yet.

BONUS

Switched it to LPG for a test. Gurgled a bit then oomph, off we went. Runs pretty damn good. A:

Garage check up and tweak tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
And all this on the side of the road.
A:Well Done that manA:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
And all this on the side of the road.
A:Well Done that manA:

Cheers for that. yes it wasn't the perfect workshop. My mate also managed to weld up the exhaust on his Subaru Legacy twin turbo thingy. Saved him a few bob that.

And so I can declare that a new company called "AutoBodge" has been born H:

Something else while I remember.

Engine Mounts

Obviously the Golf engine mounts are different. All the points are there for the T4 but they need to be tapped to take the bolts. In one instance we even had to drill the hole and tap it. The point was there but no hole :( Nervous wreck drilling the block I can tell you. LOL:

So taps and dies added to the essential tools list. T:

I'm going to add my "Funky Windows" build to this thread next. Watch this space :cool:

Next potential project for "AutoBodge" maybe modifying or building a spare wheel carrier and swing arm for the back door. Darn it I'm getting ambitious now I: :(

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
time to add a little history I guess

When I bough the van she looked like this.

Grey bumpers, So high it gave you vertigo, a very basic bed layout in the back and some carpet lining. Nothing special but the bodywork was genrally solid bar a few bumps and holes and the mileage was low - 69k on a J plate!! :eek:

We suspect it was an ex police van. Had the remains of a light on the roof and the little black grills on the back panels suggested they were for air flow and kind of peep holes.

First things done was nothing out of the ordinary. Alloys, side bars and managed to find some A-bars too. I also bust 3 guts colour coding the bumpers and the grills.

Quite happy with the look........................for now.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
Colyn :ILU: The whole darn thing is a proper credit to you....nice work A:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Funky Windows

It was time to start attacking the inside but the littl eblack grills bugged me. Firstly the panel around them was beginning to rust and they leaked. Nay good as I planned to insulate.

Windows were suggested but a full panel at the rear would look pants. Time for out the box thinking and tittynet scouring. the idea for PORTHOLE LIGHTS came to mind. :cool:

Found some nice stainless ones on't web at the right size. Big enough to aloow me to cut away all the grill but small enough to actually fit within the panel. T:

Here's the installation.

Cut the holes first. I have never been so terrified in my life. templates were made, checked, checked again and again. it was marked, checked, checked. thankfully there is a little tolerence in the Portholes. Here's the hole

I then put plenty of Aquaseal / flashband type stuff everywhere. This van is going to be quiet. Insulation - again everywhere. I used sheeps wool for this. Blinking tough running round after the buggers up near home. They can shift when they want LOL:;)

I also made up a couple of plywood "donuts" or rings. The rings basically allow the porthole light to be clamped from inside and out - the portholes need a solid frame equal to their thickness. It was all glued into place using gripfix type adhesive and clamped till it stuck. Here's all of that in place from the inside.

The outer frame of the portlight was then put in place. Plenty of sealant inside and out and again clamped until everything was solid. Please note I checked the weather before starting all of this.

Clamps

last job was to install the ply lining (with carpet and hole cut ready) and screw / fix the inner part of the porthole which houses the glass hinges etc.

Finished job - Chuffed I can tell you. They look prety sweet with the glass recessed a good 2" from the body. Only downside is I have to be careful not to open them with in bad weather as water collects against the glass. This is due the back slope on this part of the bodywork. Soon as you drive though it goes

Inside

Outside

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Noo Noo, the van's looking sweet dude, I like the porthole idea.

I bet you were happy there wasn't too much wind so you didn't want to drop everything and hit the beach.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Alright fella?

Planned to perfection mate, perfection.................................... honestly I:

·
Registered
642 Posts
I love this....im so ready to swap my 2.0 petrol to an AAG /8v mk3 golf lump.....was going to do between xmas and new year but i down want it to be like challenge anika as i need me van in the 1st week of Jan..so booked a week off work end Jan to do it!! fingers x'd

any idea how similar the mk2 engine you used and the mk3 is (from what i remember the mk3 just has a larger bottom end or somthing...)

A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I love this....im so ready to swap my 2.0 petrol to an AAG /8v mk3 golf lump.....was going to do between xmas and new year but i down want it to be like challenge anika as i need me van in the 1st week of Jan..so booked a week off work end Jan to do it!! fingers x'd

any idea how similar the mk2 engine you used and the mk3 is (from what i remember the mk3 just has a larger bottom end or somthing...)

A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A:A:
Wow, this has surfaced from the ashes! Cheers for the comments.

As far as the Mk2 / MK3 engines are concerned I don't think there's huge amount between them to be honest. The casting for the block will be almost identical. The trick to this conversion is basically using the better perfromance delivery of the block and head combined with all your T4 bits to make it fit and keep it simple. Don't expect an enormous improvement but it is there.

I wish I had the time and facilities to really play around with this. I've been robbing ideas from here and there applying them to the T4 could be real fun. (no huge benfit to the masses though). My ideas have included:

- G60 coversion.
- Turbo charge a T4 AAC engine. Probably would change the head too.
- Go completely daft and look at bigger cranks etc. in the AAC turbo. Get it up to 2.1L etc.

Unfirtunately the Butty Bus is my only vehicle and daily drive. Combined with working away from home the above project ideas are and probably will stay as ideas.

Best I update this build thread to be honest as the Butty Bus has, and is turning into a bit of a Darwin machine. It has and will continue to move on and develop!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Ok here we go again.

Having used the Butty Bus for a good while in it's current guise I haven't been 100% happy. The current layout doesn't suit my needs perfectly as a daily drive, weekend commuter from Reading to North Wales, Camper and my kitesurf bus. Plus I've wanted to go on some longer trips and stuff. In addition over the last year I've also been planning something rather special in the power plant area along with some work up front in the cab area. I have not been sitting still!!!

Firstly lets talk about the rear
I've tried a basic timber bed arrnagement which didn't work and a rock and roll bed. Personally I think they're pants. They weigh 15 tonnes, cut the usable space in teh van in half and storage for kite surf equipment underneath them is pretty poor as well.

So it had to be something new. I decided on a L-shaped seating / bed arrangement and then units to match. Ok this cut's the cab off from the rear and does make it all look a bit more cramped but I've shoved a Waeco Coolfreeze 25 between the two front seats. Fits well but I'll have to look at the hand brake. That also gives me a base for a centre console which I'll need for the special project later ;)

here's some pictures of teh rear build in progress

blank canvas with some wiring a new carpet and note the two leather seats from a Saab up front

Part 1 of the side seating

How it folds out

Side finished and a subwoofer going in for the front one. Got to have sounds!

Seating finished

cooker and sink unit on the sliding door side

Cooker will go in a drawer that comes out across the sliding door. I don't like having a cooker curied deep inside the van.You can use it from inside or outside like this.

Decided upon a Origo alcohol cooker. No gas and pipes to worry about

sink at the back.

here's that cooker again

done

another view

Excuse the mess but still had a load of sanding and varnishing and general tidying up to do!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I've done a lot more inside since including getting upholstery sorted, the ceiling and a general tidy up.

But back to the outside of the van. While planning the new power plant and the using the van as I do I realised that those big whopping A bars were quite frankly a bit of a pain. And I honestly hated the front bumper, welll most of it. It wasn't deep enough and I honestly haven't seen a splitter that I like. I liked the top square section of the early T4 bumper but the bottom half I think is awful. Then I saw a chin spoiler that you could stick onto the early T4 bumper.

Much drilling, gluing, filling, sanding and painting and I have this

I also did added a chrome badgless grille and did a little bit of a diddy on the infill panel between. Changed to a later single piece one as well.

I also finally managed to get my mits on a Syncro spare wheel carrier which means I can at last get the spare out the back of the van. It was in pretty poor nick and had bit missing but I somehow managed to get it t come together. Sorry I haven't got a spare pic at the moment. Last years Summer wheels also going on. Fondmetal 16 inch. Worked nicely. You can also see the chin spoiler in progress on the front.

The rear bumper has also been changed now. I hated the 3 piece early ones mainly because mine was a bit battered and they never lined up very nicely. The LPG filler position also wound me up. That's changed and I'll post up another picture soon.

Better picture of the back of the van.

21 - 40 of 112 Posts