VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, thank you for letting me join - hope I've posted this in the correct section of the forum. I'm soon to be getting my first T4. Really excited but I've hit a brick wall when trying to find someone reliable who can do some leisure battery work in the Hampshire (or near) area.

The bus I'm buying (2002 1.9 td) has a leisure battery charged from the engine and a seperate 240v hookup that supplies power to a 13a socket. What I'm looking for is a company that can link the 240V hookup to the leisure battery so that it also charges the battery as well as supplying power to the fridge and 13a socket when we are on site.

We're also looking for somewhere that will safely connect our hob up to a gas system (campinggaz bottle) with the correct ventilation etc. I'd prefer to get this installed somewhere that can provide a safety certificate for peace of mind.

I've done loads of Googling but with no success. Can any of you super-T4 Gurus recommend anyone please?
馃槼

Full of Cr*p....
A number of points, not only from the safety issue.
What split charging system does it have to the leisure battery?
If it a VSR (hopefully), all you need is a 3-5 stage battery charger from the mains inlet to the charger (It will then charge the leisure battery when on mains, and also keep the starter battery charged.
IF you have on "old style" relay (connected to the alternator light, throw it away and but something more modern than a Morris Minor!

I'm not one of the scaremonger-er people about mains electrics....it's p*ss easy to DIY, as there are soooo many safety "fingies" involved!
Just buy a garage style mains distribution box....it will have 2 switched/trip protected outlets, and a "useless" Earth Protection Relay.....I say "Useless", 'cos I've touched the live wire on MANY of them..and they don't trip...FOR ME!

Anyway....about 30-40 quid for that box.
Mains from your external socket goes into it, 1 output you use for your mains socket(s), teh other goes to a battery charger, and then to your battery.
If you've got a fridge that needs 230 volts....consider getting one with a 12v compressor....MUCH more reliable (and cheaper to run).

As for the gas hob....there is no "ventilation" specified for them....you just have to open a window!
Secured gas bottle, correct fitting and hose, and check for leaks using washing-up liquid on the joints (or as my Gas Board trained father used to ....his cig lighter!)

Quote:
" I've hit a brick wall when trying to find someone "

That's because it's a DIY situation....

JUST be aware....TWELVE VOLT BATTERIES ARE FAR MORE DANGEROUS THAN 230 VOLT MAINS!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your reply. The fridge is a two way compressor fridge I believe so I would like the choice of being able to save leisure battery power (and charge the lb) when hooked up to the mains.

Thanks for the information but It's really not a DIY situation for me as I can turn my hand to most things but I'm not comfortable fiddling about with electric or gas to that extent which is why I'm looking for someone with professional experience.

Full of Cr*p....
www.travelvolts.net has all you need electric wise, and he's a very helpful guy (Martyn).
He's also mobile, but it depends how far away you are. (I've been out of UK for 14 years, and never knew where Hampshire (the home of pigs?) was even then....I DO know where Yorkshire is though...hehe)
At least you did state year and engine of what you are talking about....many just say "T4"...LOL

The "gas" you are talking about, is no different to buying a BBQ and connecting it to a bottle!
Just make sure the bottle can't move!
As for the fridge....if you have a "proper" charger for the leisure battery, really no point messing with the mains/12v side....it could possibly save you a couple of quid over a year of use, for the cost of 10x that to sort the switching/wiring out.
Keep it simple, don't get hooked up in technicalities.
When you get the van, let me know what sort of split charge system it has, and I can possibly give more help.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. I'll have a look at the travelvolts site in the meantime, and I'll be able to give a clearer idea of what's in the setup once I've got the van.

P.S. Hampshire is one of the southernmost counties. We're on the coast - no pigs on the beach! Well, maybe some sausages on the barbecues...

馃悥

Full of Cr*p....
Are you allowed BBQs now?
I'm lucky where I live...this part of Norway has so far had 3 cases of the virus....in an area the size of Yorkshire!!!
NO restrictions at all....apart from the normal ones that NO shops open on Sundays, you can't buy any alcohol other than beer unless you go to the "VinMonopet" (yeah Monopoly" is the word, and an hours drive away.....and the nearest place to buy car parts/tools is 2 hours drive away.....Living The Life...HAHA

"P.S. Hampshire is one of the southernmost counties. "
You mean the other side of the Dartford Tunnel....where "al' t' suvners livs"

I have a "strange" sense (?) of humour, but I will help when I can....especially with electrics.
Gaz

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
"the other side of the Dartford Tunnel....where "al' t' suvners livs"

Souther than that. But yep, "Here Be Dragons". In other words, that bit of the country that exists below London but no-one believes it does (apart from Brighton).

Norway sounds cool. Scandinavia in general sounds cool to be honest.

I don't think anyone stopped having barbecues here. Although they are allowed again now.

Cheers for the offer of help. Much appreciated.

Registered
"the other side of the Dartford Tunnel....where "al' t' suvners livs"

Souther than that. But yep, "Here Be Dragons". In other words, that bit of the country that exists below London but no-one believes it does (apart from Brighton).

Norway sounds cool. Scandinavia in general sounds cool to be honest.

I don't think anyone stopped having barbecues here. Although they are allowed again now.

Cheers for the offer of help. Much appreciated.
Hi...
I use "DubTend", they're excellent with anything to do with VW Transporter etc.
They are based near Wickham, Hampshire.
Checkout their website for more info.
Regards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts