VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am a noob
Just bought a used 1996 VW Transporter (T4) anyway it has a 2.0Ltr Petrol engine done 225,000 Km's on the clock.
First day driving it yesterday, it lost all power when I accelerated hard and then the engine completely cut out and wouldn't start again for about 10-15 minutes.
When it did start I drove it back home (10-15 minutes) cut out again but quickly started 1-2 mins, was still losing power all the way home whenever I tried to accelerate hard.
It seems to go kind of okay if I slowly and gently accelerate!!!
Once home, I lifted the bonnet. The engine smelled really hot & I immediately noticed a hose that was misshapen, very warm and half melted looking (it lives directly in front near the oil fill area)
I touched it slightly, felt it was indeed warm, then tried to move it a bit and made a hole or two in it. So pulled it off completely & it just came away like butter, leaving the end bits fastened still in place.
It had lots of thick black gunk on it and the engine parts nearby to it & inside the hose it looked like it was all cracked/baked but soft enough to be malleable as it was still very warm.
It's a right mess. I've cleaned the area where the part # reads: 044103493D don't know if it was the right hose for the job in the first place however???
I'm in Victoria, Australia Melbourne area.
As the buyer, the deal struck with seller was that I got the certificate of road worthiness done myself. The van was only $2,880 on eBay so I had anticipated or expected I'd probably need to spend a couple of thousand to get it ship-shape... so, happy taking that chance, I promptly bought it and decided to take it to the same mechanic that the seller used for servicing the vehicle, thinking he would indeed be familiar with this vehicle.

I spent $1,700 all told, for new F & R brakes, exhaust & drivers' seat repair, and for a service to be done as well, note the itemized invoice states all hoses were checked...

What is this hose and why didn't my mechanic spot this as a problem when he did all the road worthy testing?

As I was stranded in the middle of a busy road, the police came by not more than 5 minutes after the car stopped and helped me push it to the side after trying to push start it a couple of times, they then noticed the very rusty exhaust pipe, (they stated it should not have passed the roadworthy in that condition) I explained my situation and that I just had a roadworthy done and he charged me to fix the exhaust... they suggested maybe he didn't do his job too well so I need another opinion from expert VW mechanics.
Would like to be aware of all there is to know regarding this so if anyone can help me I would be very grateful.

Oh and have I permanently damaged my new (well 16y old) Volkswagen by driving it for the 10 minutes or so back home?

Thanks all
:eek:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I don't know if you have the equivalent to our AA over there. A motoring organisation who will give your car an independent check for a fee.
If they find problems that should have been fixed I would take that report first to the garage for them to put it right especially what you paid for.
If no joy I would take the same report and get legal advice as to what action to take against the garage if they are found at fault.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Get the repair manual for your van and learn to fix it yourself, if you cannot maintain an older vehicle yourself they are generally not cost effective....ie. the money you spend on repairs would be better spent on a newer vehicle. That being said, your description of the hose is not clear enough, a pic is worth 10000s. If your exhaust is rusty after they said they changed it, you have been screwed....screw them back or they will continue screwing others.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I've cleaned the area where the part # reads: 044103493D don't know if it was the right hose for the job in the first place however???
Go to your local VW dealer parts dept. & ask him to look up the area where your hose came from [you will need to give him your VIN no] & see if that part no comes up. If you ask nicely he will run a print off, that may help your understanding of what it does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts