VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just come back from a surf and drove my van through heavy traffic for the first time since I've got it. I noticed that the temperature gauge had climbed up to halfway where I haven't seen it past a quater of the way before. By the time I got home it was up to nearly three quaters... and the radiator fans hadn't come on - should they have? I assumed that having air coming through it whilst driving kept the temperature down but being in traffic the fans shoudl have come on...

Any help much appreciated, read somewhere here about these being symptoms of a cracked head gasket :eek:

cheers

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Have just come back from a surf and drove my van through heavy traffic for the first time since I've got it. I noticed that the temperature gauge had climbed up to halfway where I haven't seen it past a quater of the way before. By the time I got home it was up to nearly three quaters... and the radiator fans hadn't come on - should they have? I assumed that having air coming through it whilst driving kept the temperature down but being in traffic the fans shoudl have come on...

Any help much appreciated, read somewhere here about these being symptoms of a cracked head gasket :eek:

cheers
90 degrees.. every van ive ever had runs the same at normal temp.. in fact every volkswagens the same 90 degrees,
needle straight up bang in the centre..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine runs bob on 90 all the time, never moves (apart from when starting from cold obviously)

Thermostat's a good place to start in an attempt to fix it. If it's a 1.9 check your alternator belt routing (the 1.9 waterpump isn't driven by the cambelt) it should run under the waterpump pulley. I had similar symptoms and this was the cause, although my heater didn't work either lol!

What engine is it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right, so in the middle seems to be the norm. What about it going up to nearly three quaters? should the radiator fans have come on by then or would it needed to go up a bit more?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mate ..... check out the fan fuses. They are located above the lights at the front rhs and there are some on the lhs inner wing. If these arte gone they are easy to replace and cost 35p each from GSF. ............. you need them for summer or you could overheat, warp or crack your head and or blow the head gasket.......... esay fix T:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Had similar bug this winter on a 2.4D, it should be at 90 (9 o'clock) and stay there once warm. Fans should kick in above that, and if you switch off when the temp is high the over-run should kick in also. Check your coolant level at the expansion tank and for airlocks by getting the front end raised (on kerb) and squeezing through all accessible coolant hosing. Diagnosis points are the low amp fuses below RHS dash, the twin 50A strip fuses mounted near LHS headlight under the bonnet, and relays below RHS dash. Then you move onto the thermostat and cooling fan control cabling - large plug mounted RHS side of radiator half way down. There's a couple of circuit tests you can run from there to test fan operation - see a help post I stuck up on this in T4 electrical a month or so back. Mine has settled since I swapped out the fan control but still running between 8-45 and 9-15 so not quite the whole enchillada yet. Not heard about the gasket possibility, how much oil are you going through? Also wondered myself about water pump failure (harder to investigate) vis a vis the coolant only circulating via convection?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread... but it's pretty related - my 2.4 AAB never really reaches the 9 o clock position, only just above the block at the bottom. Pretty sure the thermostat is ok, the hoses don't warm up at all for some time til I assume it pops open - is there a chance it's the sensor or display rather than the thermostat? The needle does move up to a quarter or more when going uphill for a while... don't like to think I'm overcooling the engine because of wear etc. I have a coolant temperature gauge I'm planning on fitting soon so should have some more information about the temperature.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Is your gauge (and fuel gauge) working all the time or dropping to zero sometimes also? i.e. have you had to do the standard solder job on the instrument panel circuit board yet?

Any other advice out there please to why temp might run +/- 90? Otherwise I guess the warmer the year gets, the more we'll all learn about this :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Temperature gauge seems to be working, at least I've only ever seen it go up I:

The water pump and cam belt were changed a couple of weeks ago, and I did an oil and ol filter change myself. One thing I was thinking is that when I took the old oil filter out it came out with the attached pipe stuck to it. Got it off (long story) and replaced it - it fed through a block which I'm thinking is the oil coolant block or something along those lines? Me messing around down there wouldn't have caused a problem would it? :eek:

But I reckon the fans should have come on anyway. Going to have a look at the fuses - they're just the plugs over the passenger side headlights, and they just pull down - right? :* Appologies for the basic questions I ask - I'm new to car/van maintenence and although I want to learn to do plenty of stuff myself it's a steep learning curve! If it's not the fuses then it'll be back to the garage (again!) as I don't want any overheating issues.

To add to it all the exhaust fell off my carolla when going surfing yesterday - maybe I should join a toyota carolla forum too :eek:

Everyone hear is really helpful so thanks all T:A:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts