VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered (sort of) several times but I can't decide what to do.

I want new wheels for my van and I'm going to be putting AT tyres on them, I also want black or graphite so the choice is quite limited.

I've found 2 sets of wheels I like, but upon investigation I find they are only rated for 690kg. The max permissible load on the axle is 1430kg so in theory the wheels aren't suitable and wouldn't pass an MOT .

HOWEVER in the original VW manual, in the technical data there are options for reduced load (I think it calls it reduced payload) where the axle weights are reduced down to a level where the wheels would be ok - I think It was approx 1200kg per axle. The vehicle is a camper I will never have it loaded anywhere near the full capacity.

So my question is, do people think I could persuade an MOT tester who questions the wheels that I am using the van as per the reduced payload option in the manual?

I know there are lots of wheel options out there and I've been through the forum and technical articles but I want an original/individual look and I dont want to go down the route of respraying etc.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
U would need to have the vehicle replated as for the reduced axle load
Read through the posts the last week or so, it has been covered there.
MOT don`t seem to bother as for the offspec rims, VOSA & Police however do along with insurance!
Happy to see U want to stay legal T:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I know this has been covered (sort of) several times but I can't decide what to do.

I want new wheels for my van and I'm going to be putting AT tyres on them, I also want black or graphite so the choice is quite limited.

I've found 2 sets of wheels I like, but upon investigation I find they are only rated for 690kg. The max permissible load on the axle is 1430kg so in theory the wheels aren't suitable and wouldn't pass an MOT .

HOWEVER in the original VW manual, in the technical data there are options for reduced load (I think it calls it reduced payload) where the axle weights are reduced down to a level where the wheels would be ok - I think It was approx 1200kg per axle. The vehicle is a camper I will never have it loaded anywhere near the full capacity.

So my question is, do people think I could persuade an MOT tester who questions the wheels that I am using the van as per the reduced payload option in the manual?

I know there are lots of wheel options out there and I've been through the forum and technical articles but I want an original/individual look and I dont want to go down the route of respraying etc.
Correct me if I'm wrong here but wheels rated at 690kgs means you have that capacity available in each corner. That means you can have a gross vehicle weight of 2760kgs which is pretty decent. Not commercial but you can judge what you've got in the back and what you carry.

I've never been asked about wheel capacity in an MOT. Perhaps I've been lucky.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The issue is not what the wheels are capable of carrying, for most of us 4x690 is probably fine - however having under-rated wheels/tyres on your van in the event of an accident could give the insurance company an excuse not to pay out.

Almost certainly fine for a MOT, personally I wouldn't risk it from an insurance perspective, as Jefe says the van will need replating, I asked about this last week and was recommended SVtech, which costs about £120, but Im hoping that I'll be able to jump through the hoops myself and save the cash.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the response, some very useful info. I think I'll go for these wheels then

On another point - does anybody have any experience of AT tyres that are oversize for the wheel?

The wheels I'm buying are 7J ,which I understand can take anything between 205 and 225 (215 obviously being the optimum) the tyres I'd like to fit (General AT Grabbers) are 225 wide, so in theory this should be ok....I just wondered if there are any potential pitfalls (other than clearance) that I may come across, e.g. any danger of tyre coming off the rim etc due to the high sidewalled tyre?

As I say, clearance will not be an issue as I'm putting on HD Springs, Bilstein B4 shocks, winding up the torsion bar and have the angle grinder ready to tackle any problems H:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
What matters is the rubber makers rim requirement, one reason why streched tyres is a topic to be debated.
Hardly applies to U`r choice.
The ONLY issue U ever would come across is if U are down to abt 0.3 bar to increase traction. U could spin the rim in the rubber.
As U probably won`t do heavy offroad, U wouldn`t do that
For now I recon U will be fine. Popp up a pic whe U are all good T:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
very happy with the wheels and tyres, the thing I love about them most is they take about 5 mins to clean, compared to about an hour I used to spend on my old million-spoke TSW donningtons!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts