VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched on here and looked at videos on youtube so I was confident to have a go at my rear brakes on my 2002 2.5 tdi.

When I got the wheels off and my 7mm allen key at the ready there was a bolt where I thought the allen key should be, and I couldn't get the sliders out.

Did some 2002 2.5tdis have different callipers ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
My 2002 Velle has bolts securing the rear calipers to the guide pins. The front calipers have pins with 7mm hex recesses. Haynes suggests that there are at least two variants for front calipers, but only one type for rear disc brakes. Others may know more....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats where ive been mistaken, its the front have 7mm allen bolts. I will take another look at youtube and then try to figure out how to take the rears apart.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Have you done much mechanical work in general, or is this a first try sort of thing?

The recessed hex bit pins are usually found on ATE type calipers, though they can be Torx as well, and theyre usually used on the front of vehicles, rears that use the bolts with the guide pins recessed into the carriers are lucas type, usually recognised by the combined handbrake and piston function (as opposed to a drum and disc combo).

Im not familiar with T4 but if they are lucas combined type you will also need a wind back tool for the caliper piston, if you lever them back you will wreck them.

You would be far better buying a set of socketed hex bits rather than risking mangling things with allen keys.

Also, brakes are critical items, so I assume you will have also equipped yourself with a haynes manual (for torque settings), and a torque wrench with a suitable scale for re-tightening.

You should also be prepared for the need to possibly replace the pins and/or re-grease (with proper suitable grease NOT copper grease etc) and for lucas type pad kits should often come with replacement bolts. You can get service kits for renewing Lucas and ATE slide pins.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,416 Posts
As a heads up the guide pins aren't replaceable on the rear carriers, so the whole carrier has to be replaced if a pin is siezed. :(

To undo the bolts in the guide pins you need to stop the guide pin from rotating while you undo the bolt. The guide pin takes a 15mm spanner if my memory is correct. And I found a bicycle cone spanner worked well due to the shallow bolthead on the pin.

Mindriot is spot on. Torque wrench and wind back tool are a must have. And have some string or cable ties handy to hold the calliper out of the way whilst/if you're replacing the discs.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Pins can be unstuck, but in my experience they always continue to be a problem.

If thats a problem encountered its best to replace the carrier frame, and if you do budget for new mounting bolts for the carrier, youre also likely need long ring spanners or a suitable breaker bar.

And if youre going to those lengths think about replacing discs as well as pads, because the carriers usually have to come off to change discs anyway.

If youre on a budget pagid stuff from ECP is passable, with one of theire endless discount codes. Carrier frames can usually be found cheapest on german ebay, or TPS if nowhere else can supply, TPS is also best for things like the bolts.

http://tps.trade

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great advice and info , thanks everybody.

MINDRIOT yes its a first attempt at T4 brakes but as things looked different to what I expected I left well alone. I do have torque wrench but not a piston winder.
I owned a Saab 99 many years ago and the brakes on that were very easy to work on so I thought these would be similarly easy....nope.

Druggedonions, that explains why It looks like the rear pins wont come out, lol.

One slider was "sticky" on both rear carriers but still moving, with a bit of lubrication they are moving now but I now know it wont be a permanent fix. As the slider pins are not replaceable it looks like I will have to bite the bullet rather soon and buy new carriers.

Thanks for the help folks, and if there's any more info you think would be handy Im listening.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I am not going to be much help, but I was going to change my front calipers in a couple weeks. I may pay someone to do it now.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a heads up the guide pins aren't replaceable on the rear carriers, so the whole carrier has to be replaced if a pin is siezed. :(

To undo the bolts in the guide pins you need to stop the guide pin from rotating while you undo the bolt. The guide pin takes a 15mm spanner if my memory is correct. And I found a bicycle cone spanner worked well due to the shallow bolthead on the pin.

Mindriot is spot on. Torque wrench and wind back tool are a must have. And have some string or cable ties handy to hold the calliper out of the way whilst/if you're replacing the discs.
When you said the guide pins are not replaceable on rear carriers I wrongly thought you meant they were not removable. Ive found out that what you meant was you cannot buy them as separate items, you have to buy the whole carrier with pins.
Anyway I had some help and I did get the guide pins out, cleaned and polished them regreased them and they are working lovely now.

What all that didnt do was cure the imbalance on the rear brakes , the o/s handbrake grabs more than the n/s .
When I pull the handbrake on especially on a hill the van rocks to one side, is there any other problem with the rear brakes other than sticking guide pins?

I didnt need to replace the pads but would just winding the piston in and out a little do any good ?

Thre doesn't seem to be any handbrake cable adjustment for individual sides.

Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not going to be much help, but I was going to change my front calipers in a couple weeks. I may pay someone to do it now.
I got a little bit of help and shown/told what to do but Ive just done both front and rear brakes, I had to replace front pads as one of the friction materials had parted company with the steel back plate.

The fronts are easier than he rear and even the rears are easy if you have the tools.The winder tool is £32.50 at Halfords or Euro car parts does one for £34.

Front needs a 7mm Allen key to remove the two front slider pins, pull/wiggle the carrier and off it comes with the pads. Clean it up, push the piston back with a G clamp replace pads shove the carrier back in place, put in lubricated slider pins and thats it ........I couldn't believe how easy it was. No more paying a garage to do my pads or discs. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my winder tool from Machine mart (own brand) and it was only £12. Great bit of kit and still working. Think it was the left hand winder, but feel to correct me if I am wrong.:*
Phew , Im pleased I borrowed one and didnt get the £30+ ones, I will go to Machine Mart and buy one at that price , thanks for that.

I wouldn't know my left from my right so I cant say right or wrong :) I dont know which way the tool turned now because I didn't need to replace the rear pads.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The rear piston in the calliper rotates clockwise and then you push at the same time. I either use my winding tool or a pair of long nose pliers in the piston recesses. I think u can also get new rear slider pins with the nut end that u screw the bolts into when mounting the calliper. eBay.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my winder tool from Machine mart (own brand) and it was only £12. Great bit of kit and still working. Think it was the left hand winder, but feel to correct me if I am wrong.:*
Just been to machine mart today and I got a calliper piston wind back tool, £11.99p and its just as good as the Halfords one and the Halfords one is £32.50. T:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The rear piston in the calliper rotates clockwise and then you push at the same time. I either use my winding tool or a pair of long nose pliers in the piston recesses. I think u can also get new rear slider pins with the nut end that u screw the bolts into when mounting the calliper. eBay.
Yes , machine mart confirmed what you said its the right hand clockwise one for the VW and at £11.99 its a good sturdy tool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts