VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gutted! Went in for tyres today, expensive enough generally but this time of year I need my pennies for that "magical time" *<:)> , only to discover BOTH rear wheels are cracked!:eek:
One in 2 places, double :eek: !!

Ive been fancying changing the wheels anyway, just would have been at a more appropriate time!
So, of anyone is aware of any deals, or better still bargains, I'm not desperate for something in particular so am open to suggestions. T:

Cheers all! :ILU:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
i presume they are alloys why anyone wastes hard earned money on alloys is beyond me our rubbish roads potholes everywhere.alloys useless.especialy the cheap rubbish ones made out of poor materials. steels all the way.i have never damaged one yet.ALLOYS LOOK NICE BUT USELESS WASTE OF MONEY.

·
Registered
609 Posts
i presume they are alloys why anyone wastes hard earned money on alloys is beyond me our rubbish roads potholes everywhere.alloys useless.especialy the cheap rubbish ones made out of poor materials. steels all the way.i have never damaged one yet.ALLOYS LOOK NICE BUT USELESS WASTE OF MONEY.
I've been running van load rated alloys for about 3 years now. Hit plenty of pot holes and no damage so far. Think your statement is a bit of a generalisation fella.

Paul

·
Registered
765 Posts
I went through this & got one welded by a company in Northampton as they were only about 6months old!
6months later & I needed new tyres & they told me 2 of them were too badly buckled to bother putting tyres on.
I learned a lot from this, mainly dont buy cheap (although at the time I thought £700 wheels & tyres were quite enough) I replaced these with lenso's, van specific alloys from performance alloys .com
Contray to comments above if u get the right bit of kit & pay the right money these will last a lifetime. The guys at performance alloys were very good & if fact would not sell me non specific wheels once they knew the vehicle, they took a few weeks to get but came with all spacers & nuts.
I love mine cos they are really deep set so u dont kerb em & all the spoke strength is straight to the centre of the wheel
U can just see em here

Anyway sorry I cant help with the saving money thing!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I've been running van load rated alloys for about 3 years now. Hit plenty of pot holes and no damage so far. Think your statement is a bit of a generalisation fella.

Paul
many people on forum have made such comments and gone back to steels.i wonder why?? i have had genuine vw van rated alloys in the past.non survived for as long as steels.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I think the rule is get the right wheels. If they are rated for the van you are good to go, if not stick to your standard steel ones. After that its what ever floats your boat.

I stick with my standard wheels but then mines a caravelle multivan so I want it left as original with VW plastics etc. But I do drool over some of the vans with their fancy rims etc.T: Like Glynns above....nice ride there *<:)>

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have to ask what are you doing to your wheels or are you just trying to hit every hole you can find T:
driving in the dark how to avoid them???????.plus i must say i sold them and whent back to steels as was advised by mot tester.
the point i was trying to make is cheap alloys are waste of money.if they crack easily

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
driving in the dark how to avoid them???????.plus i must say i sold them and whent back to steels as was advised by mot tester.
the point i was trying to make is cheap alloys are waste of money.if they crack easily
I agree with your comment on cheap alloys they should be banned
As for driving in the dark i think you may need a headlight upgrade if you cant see the potholes T:

·
Registered
765 Posts
I agree again cheap ones are a nightmare & there should be some ruling on it, for example mine went straight through mot with the old non van specific ones even when they were bent as a nine bob note!....then my last car failed for having a mountain bike chainring hanging from the rear view mirror! wtf is goin on??

·
Registered
484 Posts
I agree again cheap ones are a nightmare & there should be some ruling on it, for example mine went straight through mot with the old non van specific ones even when they were bent as a nine bob note!....then my last car failed for having a mountain bike chainring hanging from the rear view mirror! wtf is goin on??

It was not the chainring fella, it was the mountain bike embedded in the frount that it came from that was the problem. Rasp:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
As others have said....if you want alloys, get some well made strong ones.

Reasonably sized 4x4 wheels are immensely strong when compared to car wheels - grab a 17" set from a Tiguan and you will be OK T:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I agree with your comment on cheap alloys they should be banned
As for driving in the dark i think you may need a headlight upgrade if you cant see the potholes T:
driving round country roads in the dark when its raining.who can see the pot holes. maybee the same people who drive so fast in fog.they must have xray vision.so i suppose they could see pot holes as i discribed.it only needs small holes lots of them to cause damage to wheels/tyres/suspension.my headlights are fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts