VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my ignition switch today due to normal problems (intermittent starting, flashing oil light etc) now van won’t fire up at all, just cranks, any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm!, good point I did buy it off eBay, have they been known to cause trouble?. Where do you get a genuine one from

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
VW......it's fitted to many different vehicles, so should still be a stocked item.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, to carry on this sorry saga, I removed and cleaned the ignition wire terminal on the starter motor and , ouila!, she started immediately, turned her off, turned her on, started no problem. Great, off down the shops, get there, park up come back to the van, won’t start!, ten minutes later starts up no problem!. Any thoughts anyone?.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
What did you clean the terminal with? (Not WD40 I hope!)

You could also try GENTLY squeezing the spade connector to tighten the contact.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, to continue, the van won’t start at all now, cranks over fine but won’t fire up, thoughts anyone?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,038 Posts
Have you read this thread?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delay, yes I had already seen that post and his symptoms are different to mine (sadly) also I don’t have a black and white wire in the loom running across the engine bay and no obvious damage to any of the wires/insulation

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interestingly I went to the van today, just thought I would try it, and it started instantly!, ran sweet as a nut for twenty minutes until I turned it of, and sure enough wouldn’t restart, just fired and stopped running on two attempts on the third try just cranked!.
Just to be clear the van is an 1996 t4 1.9td, any other ideas anyone?.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well at long last the van is running, the problem was, as suspected the immobiliser, a big thanks to Steve Padda on here who was kind enough to tell me how to get around the problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts