VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.
i have a 1999 1.9td t4. having trouble every morning trying to start it. the colder it is the worse the problem.
i ALWAYS need to have the cold start pulled out completley otherwise it wont fire up.
i always try to heat the glow plugs up a couple of times and wait a while once the light goes out.
when it evenatually fires up there is usually a big puff of white smoke. within 5 mins of driving it drives like a dream and will start very very quickly and smokeless until it is left for a good few hours again to cool down.

is this a glow plug issue or something worse?
thanks very much

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
first things to check are the glow plugs and the relay then i would check the fuel do you have veg oil in the van.
when you pull the lever it advances the timing a little maybe yours is a little to retarded and timing needs checking.

if your running just diesel i would change glow plugs and relay as most likely to be these

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Before you do the glow plugs check the 50 amp fuse in the engine bay. I've just had the same. Have a good look at it because they sometimes look ok but are actually broken.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Before you do the glow plugs check the 50 amp fuse in the engine bay. I've just had the same. Have a good look at it because they sometimes look ok but are actually broken.
Where is it? Mine is non turbo though and I have the same hassles, but have got some veg oil in the tank still.
Must change fuel filter too

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I would tend to look for an air leak first somewhere . check the fuel clear leak-off tube . if thats full of air , then it will take time to fire . diesel needs an air-tight system to work .. Glow plugs dont fail en - mass , like spark plugs dont . Leak off tubes are a cmmon reason , and are cheap to replace . you dont always see until probs occur . A worn injector spindle will also give the same problem . Check all your fuel delivery is airtight first , and only then look at glo-plugs, etc . Good luck ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts