VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Would appreciate help after giving myself a headache. Van randomly cut out and was towed. Went to a garage and they charged me 100quid to tell me they couldn't find anything (and that they hate T4s!).

It happened once again when at a petrol station out thankfully it did start after about 8 goes at cranking.

I need the van for a long drive so want to make sure it's ok.

Things I have done:

Changed the fuel filter.
Looked for a fuel pump relay but I can't find one and am unsure if the 1.9td 2001 has one.
Put diesel rhino in the tank.

I'm far from being a mechanic and am now out of ideas. Would appreciate any help as I don't really want to break down on the mountains we have around here 馃馃槵馃槵馃槵馃槵

Registered
Could be worth reading up on the fuel cut off solenoid for these, linked to the immobiliser. A lot of 1.9 owners appear to of 'disabled' them. Had a similar issue on my old 2.5 T4.

Something like this;

Registered
There is no electric pump .The injection pump has a pump built into it .Apart from the cut off solenoid which would be suspect if it happens again ,you may have solved it by renewing the filter if it had not been changed for an age .Also it is necessary to frequently drain any water from that filter ,say every couple of months .Diesel always contains a small water element which ends up in the bottom of the filter ,plus condensation .But maybe you know this well already .

Registered
You say you are not a mechanic ,but changing that filter is not the easiest without breaking something ,particularly that little plastic valve thingey.

Registered
they hate T4s!)
that'll be most t4 owners then:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

when it cuts-out, does anything else happen / not happen?

t4's can have electrical issues especially around the ignition switch :unsure: a bad ignition lock & / or switch can cause all kind of starting & running fun.......

also, where are you located? if you are local I can recomend a friendly garage & vw knowledgeable mecanics:cool:

Rich.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
that'll be most t4 owners then:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

when it cuts-out, does anything else happen / not happen?

t4's can have electrical issues especially around the ignition switch :unsure: a bad ignition lock & / or switch can cause all kind of starting & running fun.......

also, where are you located? if you are local I can recomend a friendly garage & vw knowledgeable mecanics:cool:

Rich.
Hi Rich, much appreciated. I'm based in Caerphilly, south Wales. If you do know anyone around here who like T4s, that would be fab. Especially as welding will be needed for the next MOT. ha.

I will check out switch. Not thought about that. I just hope it isn't too expensive to sort out this issue.

Thanks! 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Could be worth reading up on the fuel cut off solenoid for these, linked to the immobiliser. A lot of 1.9 owners appear to of 'disabled' them. Had a similar issue on my old 2.5 T4.

Something like this;

I have read a few people having the same issue. The idea of drilling in the bay doesn't fill me with much confidence, so I hope that it's something less daunting. Fingers crossed but I have a feeling you're right. Eek
There is no electric pump .The injection pump has a pump built into it .Apart from the cut off solenoid which would be suspect if it happens again ,you may have solved it by renewing the filter if it had not been changed for an age .Also it is necessary to frequently drain any water from that filter ,say every couple of months .Diesel always contains a small water element which ends up in the bottom of the filter ,plus condensation .But maybe you know this well already .
I didn't know that to be honest. I just changed the filter because I thought maybe the engine was being starved if fuel or blocked injectors. Thought it might help. Didn't realise the issue with water. Thanks for the info.

I got a Bosch filter from Amazon for a tenner so that was a steal.

I think you're probably right about the solenoid. Eek.

Registered
The water drain is a plastic tap on the bottom the filter .Open it up now and again to allow the watery diesel to run up your sleeve as always happens .Just let about 50 cc out or so and that should be any water gone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts