VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For :* sake make sure the person doing the job replaces the crank pulley stretch bolt, these are single use and tightening it WILL NOT DO! The same goes for the cheese head bolts. I have just found out the hard way although the cambelt was changed by the previous owner just before i took ownership.

If need be supply it for them dont book it in without demanding that it gets done, please feel free to use me as an example!

Hopefully this thread will prevent others from being in my current costly situationT:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Cant remember taking the crank pulley bolt out? Though it was just the 4 small bolts to get the pulley off:confused:

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cant remember taking the crank pulley bolt out? Though it was just the 4 small bolts to get the pulley off:confused:
those bolts are the cheese head ones which are also single use the crank stretch bolt holds the pulley behind that one on. It is a single large multi splined thing not a normal looking bolt.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The bolt comes with the cambelt kit - why would you not change it?
EDIT - You must be thinking about the tensioner bolt which was supplied in my kit, thats not what we are talking about here. The bolt in question is a multi spline and fairly large bolt and is not included.

Similar bolt if not the same as the one you need.

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just bought a kit too, and it came with the crank bolt.

Very strange indeed, either way make sure you fit it as it an important component known to fail (as mine did) T:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Also make sure that the bolt is correctly torqued, from memory i think it's (must lightly oil threads and between bolt head and washer) 270nm followed by 270 degrees :eek:( or as we say in the trade 'brown tight' !)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Very strange indeed, either way make sure you fit it as it an important component known to fail (as mine did) T:
That is not the correct bolt.
its is the one in the pic Jimmy James posted above.

And it doesnt come in any cambelt kit I have bought (2 up to now) but Ive only bought GSF kits.

Zmok- using a big impact gun (or any impact gun...) is a very bad idea indeed. You will overtorque the bolt and therefore overstretch it , meaning a much weaker 'grip' to the crank. Not to mention possible thread or crank damage :eek:

t4magic -sounds about right. I know its either 90 or 180 degrees past the final torque value.

To those who have 'changed' their cambelt but not the drive pulley on the crank or main bolt. THese parts are crucial and are very good at failing.
It happened to mine and the pulley spun on the crank as the keyway shears off (bad design)
its a pain to fix........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts