VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, quite a newbie here but im always keen to learn, i have done a lot of research into leisure batteries and i am just about to purchase one. I've decided to get a 75ah numax leisure battery, 100amp split charge relay with 80amp fuses on each side and have ran some 16mm2 cable already to be hooked up once i purchase everything. I'm planning on spending two weeks in france living out the van and have 4 led lights, a small flip down tv, 2 12v sockets and hoping to run a 150w inverter for my ps2. Will a 75ah battery be adequet enough to run this? Also when it comes to using a leisure battery charger i havent the foggiest. Do i need one or will my alternator keep it charged, ill be doing almost 3000miles over 14days. Half way through my trip I have 3 nights booked in at a campsite which states "with electricity 6A" on its website so i guess i could charge the leisure battery off that somehow, but my questions are:

1) do i need a certain type of charger to do this, if so is there a charger i can get that i could use here and at home if i ever needed to charge it at home?
2) how long would it take to charge the battery?
3) can i charge the battery and use it for the appliances at the same time?

This is my first time going away and i'm hoping not to run into any problems, also i don't have a lot of money to buy a charger if needed, so the cheaper the better.

I really hope someone can help :*

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
It sounds like you're going to be driving most days so your alternator will be doing most of the work, but if you want to keep the battery topped up when you're camping for any length of time, you will need a charger. You'll need something like this http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mobile-mains-kit-p155317 to get the power to your van, then a good quality charger, something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULLY-AUT...tEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item1e65abfd75 which can be left in place without danger of "overcharging" & damaging your battery. There's a lot of people on the forum using these bits of kit (I've got a similar charger, slightly bigger to cope with larger batteries & can vouch for the quality). Lastly, try to buy the biggest capacity leisure battery you can afford, (or that will fit into the available space if it's being put in a cupboard) as you should only really use about 30% of the batteries capacity before recharging if you want to keep the battery in good condition.

A 12a charger will charge at 12 amps per hour, so should recharge your 75a battery in 2 hours assuming you only run it down by 30% or so & yes, you can use 12v appliances while the battery is on charge. .

Good luck, I hope the trip goes well.

Al.

·
Registered
799 Posts
get as high aH as possible & make sure its a leisure battery as they are 'deep cycle'. different to starter batteries. i was running a 65w fridge off my main battery last weekend & it milked it within 6 hours!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou very much for that info, i know what to look for now and trying to score a bargain on ebay, also found an 85ah lb for roughly the same price, ty for the help T:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
get as high aH as possible & make sure its a leisure battery as they are 'deep cycle'. different to starter batteries. i was running a 65w fridge off my main battery last weekend & it milked it within 6 hours!!
A fridge will kill any battery fast :eek: Starter batteries give lots off power fast and leisure batteries give more of a constant flow.

I had a brand new 110ah leisure battery running a 60w fridge and I got 16hrs on a low setting. Batterys IMO are just too old school and thats why I'm thinking of a suitcase silent generartor when hook up aint a option. If I knew enough about solar power i'd go down that route T:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts