VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all

Just joined the world of owning a T4 after a few years of the wife keeping on. We purchased the vehicle last night and are looking forward to adding our own touches to it, and being honest having driven it las night and also having stopped to take in the sunset with the tailgate open, I'm wishing we would have done it sooner

Here is our van http://s11.postimg.org/59q5kx9k3/Screen_Shot_2015_08_04_at_13_56_26.png

We already have a few things booked into to be done, firstly getting it mechanically checked over with a full service and then looking to choose between a few finishing touches on the outside, or a complete rework of the inside with captains seats and tables in the rear

Hope to keep posting a few pics of our progress

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ....... the forum has already been a huge help.

Had to look at the external tailgate handle as it wasn't operating the lock and it appears that not only did the previous owner change the seats, but they also had 3mm thick legs, no clearance at all so the seat conversion page has been massive help.

Also had some replacement headlights delivered today, again, the forum advice has me pretty confident I can handle the change over.

We have the van booked in for the windows to be tinted on Friday so will look completely different for the weekend.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Welcome to the world of never having any money ever again A: !!

Just out of curiosity, if you're replacing the headlights are you fitting a modified wiring loom too? I got one of THESE (linky) and it makes all the difference because it allows the headlights to get the full 12v instead of the piddly 9v that the factory wiring gives... 15 minutes to fit with no special tools or electrical knowledge and easily reversible too. Highly recommended T:.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the compliments guys, we have a good base to work from with the van we bought in terms of exterior but the interior will take some renewing.

With regards to the headlight looms, I've contemplated just ordering and fitting or seeing how they look and then ordering if needed.

Does the it you linked to run the pair or one side only and buy two?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked the car up from the window tinters today, would love thoughts on how it has changed the look of the van.

Have mainly had this done as due to the all around glazing it would be baking hot inside on warm days, and also just to give a bit more privacy and a nicer look.

[img=http://s28.postimg.org/vg0c0hcm1/20150807_193700_1.jpg]

[img=http://s13.postimg.org/vt28wx6rn/20150807_193709.jpg]

[img=http://s13.postimg.org/gtehmtf9f/20150807_193716_4.jpg]

The wife wanted to add the carbon wrap to the bonnet which I had some scepticism about, mainly due to the fact that it seems one of the more frequent mods done on T4's/5's certainly where we are. We've also got mirror covers and a spoiler being wrapped that should be with us next week to add on

Have to say that when I dropped it off, i shared the concern with the guy completing the work and he laid a vinyl on the bonnet to give me an idea of how the colour would match and we went with it.

I'm tempted to find a design / emblem / slogan or even make one myself to just give it a bit of uniqueness, but think it contrasts much better with the light blue than it did in my head.

[img=http://s21.postimg.org/flc762fhv/Vanfront_on.jpg]

Tomorrow see's me trying to install these Alfa seats in the front to overcome the height of the seats the previous owner installed

[img=http://s14.postimg.org/5oxpl6vsd/Screen_Shot_2015_08_07_at_23_47_33.jpg]

Off to read the thread on how to ........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back from having the van checked over at the garage. Gone ok but a few worrying finds.

I struggled to get first gear, second gear and reverse this morning. Found out (through here ....... thanks) that this was more than likely a faulty bush on the gear stick but the mechanic found it held together with cable ties ............... thats left me a touch concerned at what other bodge fixes might have been done so its going back in on Friday for a full look over which I'm now dreading.

He also thought that there was evidence of the engine having been over oiled which he is going to be investigating further. Other than that it appears ok but just have nagging doubts now.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Back from having the van checked over at the garage. Gone ok but a few worrying finds.

I struggled to get first gear, second gear and reverse this morning. Found out (through here ....... thanks) that this was more than likely a faulty bush on the gear stick but the mechanic found it held together with cable ties ............... thats left me a touch concerned at what other bodge fixes might have been done so its going back in on Friday for a full look over which I'm now dreading.

He also thought that there was evidence of the engine having been over oiled which he is going to be investigating further. Other than that it appears ok but just have nagging doubts now.
As said I'm sure all will be fine.

Change ALL the gear linkage bushes, very well worth the extra effort. If not done already carry out the 'short shift mod', as that's nothing more than drilling a hole T:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure it will be too. I have full faith in the guy who does the mechanical work to do it all right, he replaced all the bushes in gear linkage so thats now running fine.

It's just taken a little bit of the shine off of the buy I guess as everything had been going so well and to have something so obviously bodged just has me a touch paranoid thats all as its for the wife and kids to use daily.

It's back in Friday so will take from there I guess, fingers crossed

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
I'm sure it will be too. I have full faith in the guy who does the mechanical work to do it all right, he replaced all the bushes in gear linkage so thats now running fine.

It's just taken a little bit of the shine off of the buy I guess as everything had been going so well and to have something so obviously bodged just has me a touch paranoid thats all as its for the wife and kids to use daily.

It's back in Friday so will take from there I guess, fingers crossed
It's the same with anything pre-owned. It looks like a nice bus, but you have to rely on the previous owner / owners loving it the same way you are obviously going to.

As you are already doing, it's just a case of working your way through everything as you start getting used to it all. Things will crop up from time to time, but there is always loads of good knowledge to be gained from the forum, and current owners experience. I have had T4's for 25 years now, and whilst my Multivan is my toy (and part of the family), you never stop learning ................ or spending LOL:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's the same with anything pre-owned. It looks like a nice bus, but you have to rely on the previous owner / owners loving it the same way you are obviously going to.

As you are already doing, it's just a case of working your way through everything as you start getting used to it all. Things will crop up from time to time, but there is always loads of good knowledge to be gained from the forum, and current owners experience. I have had T4's for 25 years now, and whilst my Multivan is my toy (and part of the family), you never stop learning ................ or spending LOL:
Cheers dude, the trip Friday found more shoddy repair work, the oil seal gasket was "just shoved up inside the hole with no real thought or seal" according to the mechanic and the sump had been sealed on with mastic sealant which just the thought as to why someone would even think of this left me banging my head on the desk.

To further quote the mechanic "there was a lot of badly thought out repair work carried out on the underside of the engine". It spent all day Friday with him having all the seals redone, the rear caliper replaced due to a blown seal and investigation into the oil issue which uncovered the problems on that system.

The whole of the underside has now been reworked and checked over and put right. The knock on the engine is the only concern now and it is literally a decision as to investing the money in chasing that fault, or enjoying the van and seeing how long the engine lasts before we put a new block in there. I'm tempted to go with the latter, to save ploughing money into polishing a potential turd.

So with that in mind we headed off for the day with the kids and the dog to use the van for the reason we bought it. Saw a few T4's and T5's out on the travel and the wife didn't seem to get why everyone was waving, bless her. I've also put to her that in the tradition of naming vans that given how she was driving in it yesterday, she should call hers Miss Daisy ............

1 - 16 of 16 Posts