VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent many years of my youth MTBing the trails of the North Downs, Wales and the West Highlands on a Marin Pine Mountain before I squirreled the bike away in the garage and happily got on with getting older....

... Until the van arrived.... Now I seem to have hit that mid-life crisis and gone and done a silly thing... I bought this -

I have little choice now but to relaunch my fitness regime.

Anyone know any good trails in the south east (or further afield) that I should check out?

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
I'm heading down to the South Downs this weekened (Hassocks to Shoreham and back).

Trails centres are a good blast, check the forestry commision website.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Don't worry it must be one of those things,
I sold my old bike 7/8 years ago,

Bought my van 2months ago and instantly thought
"buying a mountain bike, now that's a clever idea!"
I am waiting for the up-lift days near me near Bristol and plymouth,
But want to go to the continent next year,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can't see the pic?

I've got an old Pine Mountain in the garage, seatpost firmly stuck. Luckily I've got 1 or 2 other bikes to compensate I:

Whereabouts in the SE are you? The North & South Downs will keep you occupied, especially if you take the time to nose around off the well worn trails. Edit - just noticed you're in Staines. Check out Swinley Forest - buy a pass at the Lookout, fantastic singletrack riding.

Was actually just about to start a thread to see how people might have modded their T5s to accommodate bikes. I'm thinking about using the wheel grabs from an old Thule gutter rack for the rear wheels & have knocked up a couple of 100mm wide wooden blocks, drilled out, with a QR for the front fork.

What else have people done?

·
Registered
449 Posts
That's a nice looking xc bike.

I've done it the other way round... Recently rebuilt my orange MsIsle and started riding regularly and now really want a t5... Hopefully not much longer til I have one :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Spent many years of my youth MTBing the trails of the North Downs, Wales and the West Highlands on a Marin Pine Mountain before I squirreled the bike away in the garage and happily got on with getting older....

... Until the van arrived.... Now I seem to have hit that mid-life crisis and gone and done a silly thing... I bought this -

I have little choice now but to relaunch my fitness regime.

Anyone know any good trails in the south east (or further afield) that I should check out?
Hi, nice wheels, bristols Ashton court has had loads of money spent on its trails, very fast and rideable in all weathers, Afan forest in Wales is awesome, good excuse to give the van a long run too! The Olympic course is open I think that's gotta be worth a look!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grumpy - That's the Cube Reaction GTC Race (Carbon)... They're retailing now from between £1359-£1599 depending on where you buy it from.

John_l - Yes, I'm in Staines and the North Downs was where I did most of my previous riding. I keep seeing Swinley Forest mentioned, so will definitely be checking it out. Regarding the bike rack; I just went for the Fiamma Carry-Bike from JustKampers. Bloody pricey, but having scanned the forum on the subject, I didn't see any realistic cheaper options.

Dommtb - Cheers for that. Knew there were places in Wales, so that's exactly what info I was looking for.

Cheers! T:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I was/am big into my mountain biking, which led me to get a T4 in the first place as I was wrecking the car...the irony is, ever since I got one I now do less biking as my spare time now goes on tinkering with the vanLOL:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Grumpy - That's the Cube Reaction GTC Race (Carbon)... They're retailing now from between £1359-£1599 depending on where you buy it from.

John_l - Yes, I'm in Staines and the North Downs was where I did most of my previous riding. I keep seeing Swinley Forest mentioned, so will definitely be checking it out. Regarding the bike rack; I just went for the Fiamma Carry-Bike from JustKampers. Bloody pricey, but having scanned the forum on the subject, I didn't see any realistic cheaper options.

Dommtb - Cheers for that. Knew there were places in Wales, so that's exactly what info I was looking for.

Cheers! T:

I meant inside the van. Not spending that sort of money!:eek:

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Lovely looking bike! Cubes are great value too.

Another mtb fan here. Loads of good trails around here and do a fair bit of night riding. Have a similar looking hardtail which all added up must be pushingthree grand. Don't tell the missus!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lovely looking bike! Cubes are great value too.

Another mtb fan here. Loads of good trails around here and do a fair bit of night riding. Have a similar looking hardtail which all added up must be pushingthree grand. Don't tell the missus!!
Ha ha... Mum's the word! (I'm very lucky, the missus is very supportive)
Never did night riding, but will definitely be trying that.

Cubepete, cheers for that.
I found this site last night
http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/
Load of trails there and downloadable O/S maps. Sweet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts