VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason both my rear number plate lights are not working:*

Ive checked both the bulbs but it's not these as they are both LED bulbs that have only been in for 2 months. All my other lights are working fine, does anyone have any idea what this could be or where to start looking??

Cheers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest no, I didn't think a fuse would be used only for those lights???

I'll go look now!

Cheers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will look again at the bulbs, can't seem to find which number fuse it is!! It doesn't say in my handbook :confused:

·
Registered
484 Posts
some LED lights are , I've had them fall apart trying to put them in and problems with the contacts not lining up.
You wouldn't expect and LED to blow a fuse though, should draw less amps than a normal bulb

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it's not the bulbs, I've tried new bulbs, both LED and normal bulbs you get in there as standard....... I wouldn't think there would be a fuse JUST for those 2 tiny bulbs!

If anyone can help anymore I'd appreciate it.

She's in for a service in a couple of weeks so can get VW to sort it if I can't

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Well it's not the bulbs, I've tried new bulbs, both LED and normal bulbs you get in there as standard....... I wouldn't think there would be a fuse JUST for those 2 tiny bulbs!

If anyone can help anymore I'd appreciate it.

She's in for a service in a couple of weeks so can get VW to sort it if I can't
My fuse card for fuse box SB shows fuse number 11 as being for the number plate lights only. It's a 5A jobbie & located in the upper of the two fuse boxes below the gear lever, top row, 11th from the L/H end or 4th from the R/H end. Unless your van is different ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked and you are right, mine is the same..... 5amp fuse broken! Problem is I changed it and it they still don't work! I only had a 10amp fuse to put in but that won't stop it will it??

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
No that shouldn't stop the lights from working "IF" they are OK & the 10A you put in was a good one & has not blown again.

If the fuse has blown again you must have a short somewhere in the wiring to the number plate lights, most likely area to check first would be where the wiring loom goes into the door. Or have you or someone else done any work/drilling/screwing in the rear area, which may have caused a short ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bulbs I put in are new and so was the 10amp fuse, it's still ok as I checked after to see if it was.

I've not had anything done drilling or fixing wise anytime recently, they only stopped working yesterday! Surely if the bulbs are ok and the fuse is ok there shouldn't be a problem?????? Right????? I reckon this is gonna be one for VW in a couple of weeks!
I may go and buy some brand new bulbs and new fuses and just make sure..... But have done that already!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Not sure how old your van is but have you checked the connections ? When I did my pre-MoT check I found that neither light was working. Looked in the housing and the terminals were completely corroded and turned to green slime -

Had to bodge in some foil tape to build up the connectors, which fixed them. The lights were leaking badly and letting water in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh man!!!! Mine don't look THAT bad tbh, there is a little bit of the bluey green stuff on one of them but I didn't notice on the other to be honest. I'll have a good look again tomorrow and see if I can give them a clean. My lenses seem pretty clean, know where near as bad as yours in the bottom picture! It all seems dry inside the housing where the bulbs go so I don't think water is getting in?!!

The van is an 08 plate T5 by the way.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
If your holders are ok, might be worth opening & closing the rear door/doors just in case it's a wire shorting out only when they are opened ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
It could possibly be the main connector to the number plate panel. There is another connector you can't get to without taking the interior panel off on the tailgate. Take that off and you will see 3 10mm nuts I think they are, undo those and the panel the plate lights are fixed to pulls off. There is a connector in the top left corner. You might find that the connector is corroded as they somehow let water in. There is a how-to on here somewhere.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Top man!! Thanks for the help, I'll give this a go at the weekend and see what I can do!!

Thanks again everyone for your help! T:

If anyone thinks it could be something other than this then please shout up!:eek:

·
Registered
757 Posts
I got 2 of the 3x2 led array things from eBay and sealed them onto two new lenses with some clear silicon, and then hard wired this to the connector. Filled up the old holes for the silly vw connection with tiger seal. About 9 months now and they are still going strong.

The original vw one only managed 4 years, so I wasn't going to buy a new one at vast cost....

AB.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts