VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello just got sum rs8 18"wheels for my vw t4and would like to no if my wheel nuts will be ok and if i will need new ones and where to get them from and anything else i will need cheers and merry xmas*<:)>

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
hello just got sum rs8 18"wheels for my vw t4and would like to no if my wheel nuts will be ok and if i will need new ones and where to get them from and anything else i will need cheers and merry xmas*<:)>

if the wheels are genuine VAG then your existing bolts should be ok providing you dont use any spacers... if u are using spacers then u will need longer bolts.... any good alloy wheel dealer will have what u need T:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the wheels are genuine VAG then your existing bolts should be ok providing you dont use any spacers... if u are using spacers then u will need longer bolts.... any good alloy wheel dealer will have what u need T:
spigot rings if so what size please

·
Registered
759 Posts
Don't use your original T4 wheel bolts which will have a 19mm a/f hexagon and 14mm radius seat to suit the original steel wheels; they will tighten up with a line contact around the edge of the wheel seat and WILL come loose and damage the wheel or much worse.:eek::eek::eek:

If your wheels are genuine Audi it is likely that they will have a 12mm radius seat and will require M14x35 12mm radius seat bolts. This length will ensure full engagement with the hub (check for around 10 turns on assembly) and protrude from the back of the hub by 1 or 2 mm.
If your wheels are after market copies they may well have taper seats and will require the correct length taper seat bolts.

The new bolts will have 17mm A/F heads and require a suitably sized wheel wrench. Dont forget to carry 5 of the old bolts and a 19mm wrench in case you need to use the steel spare.T:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't use your original T4 wheel bolts which will have a 19mm a/f hexagon and 14mm radius seat to suit the original steel wheels; they will tighten up with a line contact around the edge of the wheel seat and WILL come loose and damage the wheel or much worse.:eek::eek::eek:

If your wheels are genuine Audi it is likely that they will have a 12mm radius seat and will require M14x35 12mm radius seat bolts. This length will ensure full engagement with the hub (check for around 10 turns on assembly) and protrude from the back of the hub by 1 or 2 mm.
If your wheels are after market copies they may well have taper seats and will require the correct length taper seat bolts.

The new bolts will have 17mm A/F heads and require a suitably sized wheel wrench. Dont forget to carry 5 of the old bolts and a 19mm wrench in case you need to use the steel spare.T:
M14x35 12mm radius seat bolts could u send me a link on where to get them ebay maby thank u dan

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I believe that the RS8 wheels will be all new to Audi as well :eek:
What have the guys in Neckarulm now missed out on?
Or are you refering to R8 wheels? :*

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Put RS8 on mobile.de & watchI:
Go onto Audi.de care configurator & watchI:
There is no such thing as a Audi RS8 even though they may be listed as such by a seller or equivalent
A Audi R8 however is a differnet matterA:
If your wheels are original VAG or AUDI parts, equvalent partnumbers will be stamped either on the back or around the hub;)

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
How should I?:*:confused:

Audi only fitted 18" wheels to the R8 on winter tires, Part np 420 601 025 D / 420 601 025
To my knowledge; Original R8 are upon delivery fitted with 8.5 & 10.5x19" wheels

U might just fork out your PartNr for your original VAG wheels should they infact be such.
U will find them casted into the back ;)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts

sorry if i got this wrong and/or was miss-leading but i had a set of audi A3 sport alloys on my van for a while and the t4 bolts suited them and the seat radius was all ok.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I would be interested in the steel wheel studs that you are replacing, as I have just taken as set of alloys off the van and the bolts won't fit the original rims.

Can you let me know if they are available please...

Thanks Devondipper

·
Registered
759 Posts
sorry if i got this wrong and/or was miss-leading but i had a set of audi A3 sport alloys on my van for a while and the t4 bolts suited them and the seat radius was all ok.....
Although the original bolts may look like they fit ok if you coat the seating with at thin smear of "engineers blue" you will find that the original bolts will only contact a thin line around the edge of the wheel seat which will deform under load, fret and cause the bolts to come loose. :eek::eek::eek:
The correct bolts will mate fully into the seat. T:T:T:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts