VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just be looking for rear 1/4 bonded windows as my van has smaller windows fitted in the rear instead of bonded.

Want them to match the bonded windows in the doors / middle row. Looks like nobody does these anymore?

No luck with Cordwallis, T4Rus, CMC, a dodgy ebay trader,

Phoned a few companies and nobody seems to have them in stock, have they gone obsolete or am I just phoning the wrong people.

Been meaning to do this job since I got the van 3 years ago! should have pulled my finger out and done it then!

Was looking at the inside of my van at lunch time and the inner and outer panel is already bonded which is a bonus and as I am planning to limo tint and then panel them over I think it is going to be an easier job than I thought (printed off instructions from the forum)

So are the rear quarter windows still available?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Have you considered asking a window fitting company (Autoglas for example) or VW themselves. They are definitely not obsolete.
Think about it another way, you can still buy replacement glass for a Type 2 van. If your van got broken in to (a very common occurrence) VW could not keep up its reputation if they had discontinued the replacement glass to fix it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sort of what I was thinking, must have just picked a couple of companies that didn't have them in stock.

Thought it was a bit odd,but when I did search on here there also seemed to be 2 other people looking for bonded rear 1/4 windows as well, assumed they had also drawn blanks.

Will try auto glass and there is a new VW van centre just opened about 10 minutes down the road from me so will pop in there as well when I get the chance. Must still be able to get them, as you guys say, would be stuffed if it got smashed so can't imagin that I can't get it.

As I am blanking the window out completely, anybody done this using sheet metal panel bonded in or a plastic panel? would this be cheaper than fitting a limo tinted bonded window? Thinking I could then cover it in carbon effect? Am I daft?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I wasn't recommending Auto glass BTW, i was just using them as an example.
It would probably be cheaper to go to an independent company, and you will probably get a more personal service too, shop around.
Even if you are just blanking the window, i think glass would be the better option (this is just my opinion though, i have no knowledge of any other blanks either), just get a tint company to apply some 100% tint to it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Autoglass can't help, if the windows were not fitted OEM ie come up when they check your vehicle reg then they will not supply them or bond them in even if the hole has been pre-cut.

Firstclass glass will do them for me but they are in Bournemouth and won't do them over a weekend. They also won't supply the glass for DIY?

I think this is why Cordwallis VW wouldn't supply as well. They will only supply and fit to OEM equipped.

Will phone around a few more.

Interestingly when I went on Ebay 90% of the pictures were just the middle row with only one company advertising the rear quarters and when I phoned him he sounded a complete idiot which is saying something coming from me! He said he could fit one window but didn't know which and that he might be able to find one in a scrap yard!!! Where as the same search at the begining of the year throw up loads advertising the rear 1/4 as well!?

CMC have them on ebay but not on their web-site (only middle row) not phoned them as they also advise collection only.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Have a read of this thread. I saw it a week or so ago. Its a discussion as to wether to fit 2 or 4 side windows, but the outcome was that the guy who asked the question ended up getting 4 side windows and seals.
You could PM him and ask him where they came from.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Cheers Tidy, I will give you a call on Wednesday

Just picked up a copy of VWBUS T4&T5, been looking out for it.
Looking through it there are several companies doing windows that I hadn' t heard of, so panic over.

As I said earlier, I am obviously daft!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts