VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...
Thought I'd fit a pair of Front Mudflaps on the Caravelle.
Bought an OEM pair from the 'Parts Haus', they arrived the next day, with all of the fixings and fitting instructions.
A metal bung, which looks like a top hat and nothing like the bung shown in the instruction leaflet, needs to be removed from near the wheel arch and replaced with a rubber expansion fixing piece, to allow the mudflaps to be fitted.
Unfortunately, I've tried and tried, but I'm unable to remove this bung, can anyone please advise me how to remove it?
Thank you.
Stay healthy.
Regards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first photo is from the Fitting Instructions, followed by my efforts from underneath the van.
I don't believe I had any 'bungs', fitted?
But, the rubber expansion fitting, does not fit into the 'Top Hat', identified by red pointer!!
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Regards.

Instruction Leaflet

I think the 'Bung is missing, its the same on the other wheel arch.

This is what I call the 'Top Hat', its hollow, 20mm long.

AAs

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi...
Thanks for your input.
As you can probably see from the photos, I've been trying to remove it, has directed in the Instruction Leaflet, hence the scratches!
I've found no bungs like the ones indicated in the Fitting Instructions, from either side, only both of the 'Top Hats', which I believe, held the bungs?
The 'Top Hat', I.D. is 7mm, whereas, the rubber expansion fixing, O.D. is 9mm.
Therefore, I don't believe the rubber fixing, secures to the inside of the 'Top Hat', but, I'm unable to remove the 'Top Hat'!!
I don't think they unscrew, there isn't anywhere to get a grip?
Regards.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Is it possible that your van originally had flaps and theyve been removed?
What i mean is those parts that you're trying to get out would actually be alright as fixing points??
To be honest i don't think rubber fixings would last 10 minutes holding the front flaps i had fitted as theyre nowhere near solid enough .

·
Special Rapporteur
8,956 Posts
I've no idea what year of van you're referring to, but just checked my 2013 Kombi and it has rubber bungs factory-fitted in those holes, exactly as shown in the instruction leaflet. There is no insert as far as I can see under the bung.

Is it possible that the van has previously had sidebars fitted? It looks as though someone has installed a threaded insert in the hole - perhaps as a sidebar mounting point?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK Gents...
Thanks for the info.
Just had a look under the wheel arches to check for the Torx Self Tappers and they are both missing
So I think you maybe correct in your assumption, of Mudflaps being previously fitted and then removed!
Any suggestions on how I can secure the Mudflaps, if the supplied fixings are not fit for purpose and with these 'Top Hats ', still in place?
Regards.

·
Registered
315 Posts
hi bud, just had a look at my velle and i have them screwed down at this location. youre saying that your "top hut" does not have a thread for screw inside? - because that is what it should be. if so, find a correct screw and use it instead of the plastic bung as first chance tour tyre catch on it, or grass, mud, stick, you will loose it! so do you self a favour and use screws. now cant tell you without undoing mine if it is metal screw or bolt, but i think it is a metal screw. you need to look in there to find out.
worst case scenario, drill top hats out, buy rivnuts, and use blots- 20 min jobbie :)

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
As said above - see if your inserts have a thread (probably be full of crud so will need clearing with the correct size bolt)
These might already be rivnuts that someones previously fitted for this exact purpose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Fella's...
Just looked up, what a 'Rivnut', was and looking at the photographs, it looks like you are correct.
Hopefully, I'll be able to clean them up and reuse them, if not, like you've advised, I'll drill them out and replace them.
It may take a day or so, if I have to replace them, because of the 'Lock-Down', and getting the bits, but I'll post a photograph of the Mudflaps, when fitted.
Thanks again,
Regards.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Other options if you dont have any joy and you haven't already got a rivnut set then it might be easier/cheaper to drill and tap a new thread into the existing insert maybe ? ...just a thought .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello again...
I'm pleased to say I've completed the installation of the Mud Flaps.
Thanks to everyone who kindly contributed with advice and guidance, to help fix my problem and also for educating me on the 'Rivnut'', a clever piece of kit!!
I've uploaded a couple of photographs of the completed work.
One issue, after cleaning out the 'Rivnut', was the Running Bars, I had to move them outboard 15mm, so they didn't obstruct the Mud Flaps.
Thanks again,
Regards.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Glad you got it sorted, fitted mine the other day, supplied well nuts were rubbish and brass insert just fell out. improvised with plasterboard wall fixing and worked a treat :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice one...
It seems a number of owners don't rate, or use the supplied fixings.
I'm surprised the suppliers haven't updated / upgraded the fixings, although it would affect the cost!!
Regards.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
My van had 2 rubber bungs in the sill, i have tried the plasplug and it kept popping out yes a rivenut would solve it perfectly, i don't have any nor do i have the insert tool, so i made some metal support brackets instead and they hve coped with lots of snow and ice when we have been skiing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts