VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I’m after some off road type wheels,perhaps like those fitted to Jimbo’s Black van,what options are available for a 1999 T4.

Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
What do you use for a spare?
They wouldn't fit the spare hanger.....do they?!?!
Yes they do with some slight modifications.

The hanger has a three position adjustment at the hinged end.
It was set to the middle position for the original 205/65R15 spare wheel.
I set it to the lowest position to accommodate the wider 235/60R16 spare.

Although the new spare is about 30mm larger in diameter than the original standard spare it just fitted, and I mean ‘JUST’ fitted under the floor.

I had to use longer bolts (about 30mm longer) along with some spacer tubes and washers to accommodate the extra tyre width at the fastening end of the spare hanger.

As one of the original bolts is captive I had to cut it off to allow the new longer bolt to be used.

I’ll post up some photos soon.

I’ll point out that 235/60R16 is the absolute maximum diameter you can fit in the original location even with the modifications I made to allow the hanger to accomodate the extra width of the tyre.

You could in fact modify the carrier mounting to accommodate ate an even wider tyre however you could not fit anything with a larger diameter as the new spare was completed snug in the spare location with no additional space around its perimeter.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,186 Posts
That's good info Pundit....thanks for that (even though I won't use it...I carry the "original" 15" as a spare....it's a SPARE after-all....just to get me to home or the nearest tyre garage. I:
Wouldn't like to drive far on it, as it IS original...so 19 years old now!!! (still holds air though!)

17" with 245/45 tyres fitted....within 3% of the 15" with 195/70 spare.

·
Registered
28 Posts
235/60R16 Hankook Dynapro ATM’s on Mercedes 16”x7.5” steels

Can you tell me which vehicle these are from and what the load rating is for the steels please. was there any mods needed apart from the spare wheel carrier.

wheels and tyres are doing my head in.

Cheers
Vince

1 - 11 of 11 Posts