VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just over a year ago we decided to buy a camper. After years of being driven around in my Dads t25 hi top (the ice cream van as my mates called it) for some reason we had to have a VW... Pretty quickly we thought the T5 was going to be the way ahead so we went to Vanfest 2007 to see a few....

A week later we bought a splitty:confused: and we've been pouring cash into it ever since. Anyway, this summer the splitty is miles from complete so I sold my everyday car and bought a T4 Kombi to use for our hols.

The problem is that the T4 is too nice! Driving through the wet horrible weather this summer has made me realise how basic the old splitty is going to be!

When the splitty is finished we'll have to sell the T4. My sister wants to buy it off us but in the meantime I'm converting it into a Reimo Weekender which is proving quite a challenge....I hope she likes it....

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dont start about selling the split... that makes far too much sense!!

Its amazing, in the SSVC circles everyone I tell that I've got a T4 says how they know somebody who's bought one and would never go back.....

And why is it, even with only 68BHP I can tear along the country lane I live on just as fast as I would in the wife's golf GT TDI??? Its magic, I swear T4s are the fastest A-B vehicle you can buy? (perhaps it just feels like that? but I certainly get stuck behind a lot of cars and very rarely hold anyone else up?)

·
Registered
399 Posts
V dubs get under your skin!. Whatever model, car or bus. I've had two polo's, a mk 2 and a mk 4, a pristine mk 2 golf gti 8v (which I loved:).) a T25 high top camper(converted by myself from a caravelle using Bilbo's stuff) for over 12 years until I found my self in a hole and had to sell it. It brought a tear to my eye when I watched it being driven away, I'd done around 200k in it and had done all the mechanical work, new engine, recon gearbox, brake system, suspension etc etc. I driven Passats, borrowed a bay pop top for a while....on and on it goes!! ..... Now, I'm on my second T4. I own a 2002 2.5tdi panel van. low miles...beautiful...project power on the way.. no its not a camper but I did a couple of long w/ends in it. No worries.Its insulated and carpetted. thats it. No its not "cool" or a fashion statement,;). but it is fast, (much faster soon!!) , quiet, economic, handles well, doesnt get mullered by juggernauts on the motorways!, looks great 60mm lower on its diamond black alloys and I love it.. I couldnt go back to even a t25 (you know the ones with heaters!!:D) Truth is I couldnt even go back to just having a car..you've been bitten, the T4 wont go away!! Its just those darn T5's you gotta watch out for..pah.!! Only joking!.

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right Herman.

I started off with a Polo and then went into the wilderness (okay the frogs did some cracking hot hatches, and now I play with Loti) but since I started working for Cosworth Technology / MAHLE Powertrain I've been back in to VeeDubs. She's had a Polo SE, Beetle Cab and now the Golf and I've had a Passat, 2 A4s and an S4 (all cheap loan cars), I even had a Fabia VRs (which is a VW really) but now we're not VW owned ( got to pay my own mony for cars:() I'm spreading my wings a bit further... but its fun. I need to sell the Lotus to pay for the Splitty soon :):)() but I reckon there'll be a few £££s left of to buy something silly!!

PS the Splitty has got a nice new Webasto heater under the front seat!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
It just boils down to character really, v dubs just got it!. I didnt even know you could fit heaters to split screens. Ah well you got it covered...and you'll be driving a classic to boot!! Nice one.But dont abandon the T4. My mate had a Lancia Delta Integrale (he has a re-mapped diesel Alfa 156 now, its VERY quick, serious Nm's!!) and he couldnt believe how fast my van covered the B roads. Its a van for goodness sake! I'll grow up one day!! .........soon:D!

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Everyone should have a mate with a Delta Integrale Evo:D. I was lucky enough to babysit one a few years ago... I had to take it out for the occasional run... just to keep everything loose you understand....:p

I doubt I'll ever abandon the T4 though. Everyone in my office wants to buy it off me now! I'll run it for a while yet and then my sis will take it over (although odds on I'll end up borrowing it when the split dumps its oil everywhere, or drops a valve or... you know!).

Its just weird, one day I'm hooning in something stupid, the next I'll pootle to work in the T4... love it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
His wasnt an evo, a 185hp 8v, but it sure was a car to test your bravery (or stupidity!!) I enjoyed my sorties in it! Now all I want from my T4 is just enough power to depress the odd contender!!. And to be able to poodle to work when i feel like it:), carry lots of stuff, polish and pamper it on a Sunday morning and luxuriate in the practicality of the whole darn exercise :D!!

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Well finally got the van home yesterday and managed to grab a quick pic in the dark after work. Not great but i thought i would try posting it up ready for the conversion.
here goes...
IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/board_paul/van.jpg[/IMG]
cheers
P

1 - 13 of 13 Posts