VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh No! Another Horn thread! - Now With Fix

Hi all
So far I read maybe 18 threads on the subject but not one has this symptom.

Today I pushed the horn to let a pheasant know I was coming and nothing..
It had worked just the other day when I had to use it to save some backing into me in a supermarket car park.

So far I've taken the plug off and checked for voltage, this is where its odd, No ignition, no volts.
When I turn the ignition on i see a strange pulsing effect on the multimeter, between 3 numbers to fast to read. Operating the horn button has no effect, also fuse 13 is intact.

After about thread 7 I noticed a consistency so off came that steering wheel and sure enough black grease, dirty pickups.
I cleaned both items and refitted, still nothing.

I'm going to check the loom in the morning near the actual plug and also try the horn on a separate small battery.

Any ideas peeps?

Thanks in advance.

*edit*
I've also tested the steering wheel horn mechanism for continuity when operated and its fine.
I can't hear any relay noise when the horn is operated but then I only have a single wimpy meep meep so i'm not sure I should have one.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
This happened with my van, intermittent horn working. I just changed the actual horn, and moved it up into the engine bay. Been fine ever since. T:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Make sure the horn earth where the actual horn is bolted to the body is rust free! I had simular problem with mine until I wire brushed the bolt and the horn bracket, slapped a bit of grease over and its been ok since

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed it! T:
I remember in one of those 18 threads someone had posted the wire can show corrosion right near the actual plug.
Yarp... that old chestnut! same on mine.

I managed to cut the wire back far enough to find copper and it was still long enough to mount under the bonnet inside the battery cover compartment.

It looks like such a design flaw to have the horn down there :*
Much better under the bonnet, I now have "big a$$ hooter" on my shopping list.

If yours hasn't broken yet, give it time it will, I'd move it before you get any bother.

Happy days :ILU:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts