VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , well there's thanks for you ,just fitted my new fiamma f45 awning and on the way back gave it some stick to see if I'd get some wind noise from the awning and at about err motorway speed ,the power dropped and it went in to limp home mode going up a big hill ,pulled into a layby and when I revved it I could hear a strange whirring noise so I thought the turbo had gone (no smoke though) got it to our luckily near by garage that we use ,they were shut so I turned it off and wondered what to do when I started it again it felt fine ,I've been using it all weekend and it's been fine using it at normal speeds/revs up to about 3.5k ,but I've just been out tonight on the motorway and it's done it again while it was pulling hard in 4rth ,pulled over turned off /restarted and it was fine ,no lights on the dash so will it have stored a fault code ? ,does this sound like sticking turbo vanes ? It's a 2004 174 that I've had for nearly 3years ,cheers for any info

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Yes it will definately have a stored code if limp mode is triggered. Depending on the cause, depends on how long before a light comes on on the dash, and before permanent limp kicks in.
Get it plugged into VCDS or VAS 5051. Cheap fleabag code readers are a waste of time.

Yes it does have all the symptoms of overboost caused by sticking VNT vanes. Get the codes read before burning ££££££££££££££££!!!!:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, booked in for a code read tomorrow so hopefully see what's wrong ,although I've been reading up a bit and I'm thinking that the vanes could be jammed fully open as it seems to pull very hard from idle and quickly climbes up to 4k in 1 2 3 4 but then it goes into limp home mode while it's pulling up in 5th and I'm holding full throttle for longer in the higher gears ,been looking at turbos just in case on the net and found that you can get a replacement cartridge instead of buying a complete unit ,never seen this before is this a good idea if it's gone ? As although the trusted garage we used for years have always been very accommodating to our petrolhead whimmes in the past they didn't seem keen to just clean the turbo out :(. also I'm thinking while it's in I will get the egr valve cleaned out and then blank off the egr pipe to keep things clean ,can't hurt can it !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts