VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not another opinions thread !

Anyway it seems I will have to sell my Caravelle which really pains me but our house refurbishment costs are spiralling ever upwards, so my question is this -

My bus has covered a mere 55K and I've uprated the suspension ( Bilstein B6's and Eibachs), Intercooler, so on and so on, however it does need a little bodywork a few small dents, and a larger dent in the drivers side slider, bit of wheel arch scab. All told it would probably cost about 800 quid to make it mint.

So should I spend the cash and sell it looking mint or as is ? Wait until the spring ? Etc...

It's also quite a rare beast being a barn door twin slider Velle which makes the decision even tougher.

So ?

:)

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you've sold the T4 and spent on the house, you'll have a nice house.........but no T4. :eek:
Ah but when we've done the house and sold it I have more than enough for another T4 but unfortunately I doubt I'll ever get one as nice as this one :(

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Bite the bullet...get the work done on the van. Give her a good clean out on the inside....then sit in it or go for drive.T:

Then keep the van. You know how it works and what needs doing for the future. You are not going to get that much on the resale and starting fresh with a new van which is not this one will only feel wrong.

Sit back down with the plans for the house build and try and find the savings to get you through.

Sell the van :eek:

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I think that long term keeping the van makes sense.

Starting again with something else will cost more than you think and there's the whole going in blind again. You know what you have and what the issues are with it etc.

Stick I say, especially if it's a special bus.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input chaps ! It will be difficult to part with and I know it will be virtually impossible to replace but it's either sell or borrow cash to complete the house.

So, spend on Gungy bus or sell as is ?

:confused:

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Sell as is. You wont get back the £800 or so on the touch up. That's a thing of love for a long term ownership. Also the new owner is better off seeing what rust etc there is.

A nice fancy paint job can hide all sorts. You know its fine, but the buyer will be wondering what's under it.

Good luck....just make a plan to get back into a T4 once its all sorted. T:

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sell as is. You wont get back the £800 or so on the touch up. That's a thing of love for a long term ownership. Also the new owner is better off seeing what rust etc there is.

A nice fancy paint job can hide all sorts. You know its fine, but the buyer will be wondering what's under it.

Good luck....just make a plan to get back into a T4 once its all sorted. T:
Thanks as ever David, it's a tough decision and one I'd rather no have to make but the house comes first.

May change my mind yet ..... :*

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
I'm interested to know what you think its worth.

Also FWIW i don't think its rare at all. Mileage is low but what makes it rare?

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm interested to know what you think its worth.

Also FWIW i don't think its rare at all. Mileage is low but what makes it rare?
Caravelle twin slider and barn doors makes it rarer than the standard tailgate and probably the multivan versions. Not many about as barn doors were a special order on the Caravelle.

As to its worth I don't have the foggiest so once Gungy bus has had a clean I'll stick some photos up for a guesstimate T:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Wait until late spring/early summer, then clean it up and flog it! You may think that having barn doors is rare, and there may well be less of them than tail gates for all I know, but IMHO it is definitely not a selling/buying plus point! Get shot of it, finish the house, moan about losing the van everytime you see one, and then when you afford/find a decent one again we'll welcome you back T:

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wait until late spring/early summer, then clean it up and flog it! You may think that having barn doors is rare, and there may well be less of them than tail gates for all I know, but IMHO it is definitely not a selling/buying plus point! Get shot of it, finish the house, moan about losing the van everytime you see one, and then when you afford/find a decent one again we'll welcome you back T:
Of course its a selling point ! It's the next 23 window T:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts