VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

oh noes-just broke the sliding rear pasenger window-help

3K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  Editor 
#1 ·
slid the window open in the sliding door on the drivers side. Shut the door-the bit I slid turns into a honeycomb.

the unbroken one on the other side has codes. it says:

VW
SEKURIT
SAINT-GURBAIN

E2 43R-001-105
DOT57M 30AS2

They have a light tint, which I was told was factory. However, the glass didn't shatter into a million pieces all over thr drive. It seems to be hold togther like on a film.

What can I do please? Near Newark. Pic to follow.

& we're going to Ireland 1st thing Friday too.

#4 ·
Silly question but doesn't your insurance cover the glass replacement? If not, any of the windscreen companies or VW commercial parts department should be able to get you a new piece of glass. Failing that get a piece of perspex from your local DIY store and make a temporary replacement using the broken piece as a template.

#5 ·
bloomin £150 excess on it & the tint is confusing everyone. I'd be every interest in how to bodge a temp jobby-even a bit of ply would do. going on a long fast journey though & would need to be secure due to animals in overnight. Linky fine-damn sure I'm not the 1st for this to happen.

Can't for the life of me understand how. I did the same on the other side-shut it. Fine. Had just pressure washed it, but I'm so stupid as to go to near seals & glass with it

#6 ·
whoops , vw do a plain glass window that will fit same hole for about 50 squid, just incase you cant get a new one with slider in time, vw might do a quick order for you if its a secutity risk, and have the window tinted later, dont know if you can just get the slider glass on its own,

#7 ·
get's weirder. There's a film tint applied (it's pretty tough-shaking the glass off it) BUT it seems to have a black border. It's right to the edge too.

VW Newark said >£460 +vat + fitting

Autoglass said our excess. All in & apparently the GF (who has been doing the talking, so one never truly knows) the last piece in the country.

Sod knows what we'd have done if the insurance hadn't had the glass cover.

How to match the tint is the next issue!

#17 ·
they do one big window or a slider, if you going cheep the whole slidder will have to come out and a none sliding window goes in
the parts are on the list its just if vw have them in the uk, then the frame has to be split to put the glass back in and then tinted to match, sorry didnt mean to confuse anyone :D:D:D:DI:

#20 ·
thank you everyone for your help on this, esp aircool1966!

Tell you what-the GF redeemed herself. Rang autoglass themselves & the lady dealing with her asked why she hadn't gone through her insurance company. 'Oh I remember someone telling me that it's best to ring you people first, 'the GF replies. 'Quite right,' the autoglass lady says. 'The insurance will tell you only the windscreen is covered. Which is incorrecrt because the arrangement is for ALL the glass.'

Bit strong that eh?! I suppose you all knew about that one!

#23 ·
man, you don't know the half of the accuracy of that. 4 of the gobbiest basset hounds out of the kitchen, which would normally take the decibel level down by 70%. Trouble is the old bastid still remains..

However, there is an additional issue...

plus Mum to the red & white thug is wholey responsible for the 70% rise above base of the noise. Weaning time you see.

However, if I play with the wee ones until they're knackered, then I can slope off to the living room where lurks a huge old AV amp coupled up to the PC via an external DAC, outputing to mostly studio monitors, crack open a few tinnies, brew up a nasty garlicky curry & get my own back on the lot of them!!

I'd very much like to go out & play with my new toy, esp with the weather forecast, but should something go t*ts up there's the small issue of the wee bundles, so I can't really. Bloomin' shame.

Cheers for all you help fella.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.