VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exhaust was making a rattle noise the other day when the engine was running. Also been finding I'm blowing blooms of white smoke out the back on start up. Got my dad to have a look as I just stated up and he said black smoke came from the back and from under the cab. Got under and had a look, and this is what I saw

Am I right in thinking that box is the Cat? It's located directly below the drivers seat sort of area.

It has split all the way through and I can imagine it repairable.

So is this a miss fortune which really means, mrs pothole I need to buy a ppttuning decat pipe A:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Yep, that's the location for a cat to live in.
Fortunately for diesels there is no requirement to keep a cat and as suggested above the vehicle can be de-catted.

That is remove old and replace with section of pipe known as "decat pipe" various ones around on offer. With no cat or silencer in this location it wont be any noisier, said to go better.

·
Administrator
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As pptuning is on here does he offer any forum discount? Although it's broken I've not noticed its any louder

·
Administrator
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking back I think it must have happens when I was reversing back the other week and the exhaust hit a high kerb

·
Administrator
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jnst got the old cat off. Cat in fine condition however the pipe is shot. On the top part of it there were holes everywhere. Off to the scrappy this afternoon to see how much I can get for the cat

·
Registered
170 Posts
how much did you get for the catalytic converter pal I left my old exhaust with the garage when I had my ss one fitted.

·
Administrator
5,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A disappointing £10 but better then nothing but have heard people getting up to £60

·
Registered
170 Posts
that's alright mate better than a kick in the teeth. Ive heard rumours about them bein worth £50 but forgot until I saw your thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts