VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have had a search but cant find the answer i need, so hope someone can help me out. i have a leak at the bottom of the oil filler neck/ round thing. not sure weather it is a gasket/rubber ring that has perrished. could someone tell me or show me where i can get a new gasket/ ring to see if that solves the little leak. and if there is anything else i should look for while i replace the seal.

cheers

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I had same problem on 2,5 tdi theres two rubber orings on the bottom of the filler. Its a bit a faf on like get them from vw a few pounds,

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Assuming you have a 2.5TDI engine then this is the most common place for an oil leak to develop.There are 3 seals on this plastic oil fller neck/breather,two O-rings and a rubber mount/seal for the breather (round thingy).
4x10mm socket size bolts hold the housing to the camcover,two are visible and two are beneath the breather which you can turn left to right to access the bolts once you have pulled the breather pipe off.
Give it a good thorough clean up and replace the two O-rings and this should cure the leak T:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming you have a 2.5TDI engine then this is the most common place for an oil leak to develop.There are 3 seals on this plastic oil fller neck/breather,two O-rings and a rubber mount/seal for the breather (round thingy).
4x10mm socket size bolts hold the housing to the camcover,two are visible and two are beneath the breather which you can turn left to right to access the bolts once you have pulled the breather pipe off.
Give it a good thorough clean up and replace the two O-rings and this should cure the leak T:
Cheers for the reply will see if i can get hold of a couple O rings. Are they just normal rubber o rings of do i need to get them from vw? Cheers

WOW dejavu, ordered mine today ready to replace tomorrow. Will take pics.
Ahh sweet :) would be great if ya can get some pics. where did u get the o rings from? Cheers

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
O-rings are pence from VW however if you have a spurious O-ring box set you should find the correct size in the kit that will do the job as well as the original rings

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ok guys did mine today. Very easy job.

First you will need 2 of these rubber O rings. Cost me £4 from VW part number - 904 663 01. I did measure them and they are approximately 30mm.

I also replaced the rubber grommet for the breather hose - 030502. You could get away without doing this as the oil leaks from the O rings.

Anyway pics -

First of all, remove the grille and put van into service position (you may not need to if you have small hands)

Pull off the rubber breather pipe (the it with the big circular disc on it)

and you will see this. This is the base of the filler.

Then remove the 4 x10mm headed bolts holding it on and remove.

The top of the valve cover will look like this. You can see where the oil is leaking from (the lower hole).

The bottom of the filler tube looks like this -

You can see the two rubber O rings and the rubber grommet.

Remove and discard both rubber O rings and, if changing, the grommet.

Soak the new rubber grommet in boiling hot water to soften and then fit to the filler tube as so -

Then fit the two new O rings. One slides over a tube and the other is slightly recessed in.

Bolt the filler back on using the 10mm bolts. The rubber O rings will not fall out when you tip it back upside down so dont worry.

Then simply slide the breather hose back on and you are done.

The new rubber grommet is slightly longer than the old one so it is perhaps a revised component.

Happy swapping!

Hope there are no more leaks.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Did this job the other weekend. Piece of cake...except that the breather had snapped in the grommet:eek:. Looked like someone had stuck it back together with araldite which had subsequently failed again. Anyway, I cleaned it all up and stuck it back with superglue (don't know how long THAT will last...(it was a Sunday)? All o-rings etc. changed. Will be nice to test out whether its fixed the oil leak once I've sorted the PAS fluid pouring out and my dodgy coolant flange......(endless struggle with this bloomin' van!)

Anyone interested in buying a LWB twin slider 'velle...?T:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ive still got a very minor oil leak after doing mine:confused:

But, the dribble/leak isnt visible from the base of the oil filler, so thats eliminated that. I'm guessing its the rocker gasket on mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How much oil did you used to lose before replacing the o rings? I am losing 1/3 litre every 100 miles but it only spills when motorway driving not when running stationary. I have noticed some oil around the oil filler neck but not enough for this huge oil loss we are experiencing. I have other small leaks so it would at least be a start!

·
Registered
770 Posts
How much oil did you used to lose before replacing the o rings? I am losing 1/3 litre every 100 miles but it only spills when motorway driving not when running stationary. I have noticed some oil around the oil filler neck but not enough for this huge oil loss we are experiencing. I have other small leaks so it would at least be a start!
To be honest, I don't know, though I certainly wasn't regularly having to top it up. The van hasn't been used that much lately due to various issues. All I know is that I had a leak around the filler area, saw the post about how easy it was to sort, and sorted it. The broken crankcase breather was most likely where the oild was coing out, so I glued that all up and renewed the seals. No more leaks from that area, and no oil drips under the van so I can only assume that it's sorted it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hoping this is the source of my leak - and hopefully sorting it out tomorrow. Dub thanks for posting those pictures, gave me the confidence of having a go.

Having trawled through fleabay trying to find a replacement neck (having had a look under the breather valve it turned out that one of the bolt holes - if that's the right term for them - had at sometime snapped off) bit the bullet and ordered from my 'local' stealers - not too pricey, just under £30. Part number was 074115308E. Ordered new o-rings and breather hose at the same time, however the part number for the grommet was different than the one given above but the guy on the phone said it so fast that I couldn't write it down. If i remember I'll post it once I oick the parts up.:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Does the oil breather just pull off?
Mines stiff as and I don't want to damage anything if it doesn't just pull.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts